Pedal for great lead tones... Skreddy Top Fuel?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by [J.K.], Jul 23, 2008.

1. [J.K.]

[J.K.] Member

I've been wondering about these pedals for some time, and I think I'm going to finally get one, but I'm a bit worried; I've owned countless pedals before, and with all the research I've done before hand, I generally have good luck except in one area:
    I can't find a pedal with a sweet lead tone for the life of me!

I'm pretty tired of getting pedals. I went through a phase where I was buying them left and right and now all I have left is to find a good lead pedal. I was using boosters, fuzzes, a Keeley modded DS-1 (which is okay, but really only works for rhythm with me) and an Analogman modded SD-1 (which is also really good, just not what I needed... I may get rid of it after I get a TF if I like it).

Should I go for the Top Fuel? Are there better lead pedals out there?
    I try to think of some songs that have my ideal tone, but I rarely can ever think of anything, but I've always been a fan of Gilmour, and I'm guessing this would go well with something a bit darker like my Matamp as well as a brighter amp like my Hiwatt, which would be ideal...

Anyone selling one? Or should I place an order?
    Anyone have one but got rid of it for any reason?

2. [J.K.]

[J.K.] Member

Also, I guess I should note that I'd like something tighter than typical fuzz. Something that doesn't sound too sloppy with sweeps or full chords...

3. charmboy

charmboy Member

Have you tried a treble booster? Analogman Beano Boost sounds great for solos and you can switch between, treble, mid and fullrange boosts. Keeley java boost is similar but I haven't tried that one.

4. justonwo

justonwo Member

If I were going to buy a Skreddy, the Top Fuel would be on the bottom of my list (I remember it being woofy and muddy). If you want Gilmour's lead tone, take your pick between a used Pink Flesh or new Lunar Module (different Gilmour eras). However, I don't think of those pedals as particularly tight - they are fairly compressed fuzzes for certain. The Screwdriver was probably the most versatile Skreddy I ever owned.

5. Skreddy

Skreddy Supporting Member

Top Fuel is not woofy or muddy in any way (unless you have the gain and the tone knobs both set very low). Either Justonwo's was off in some way or some knobs weren't adjusted that could have been--it's a really tight-sounding distortion with a ton of available treble. I run it with the tone knob all the way down quite often just to get more of a smooth, liquid tone.

I agree it's probably at the bottom of my list, too, though. But I keep it on my list because some folks are looking for just what it does--a modern-sounding, tight distortion with a mid push and good sustain.

6. pbone

pbone Member

What's the highest gain Skreddy?

7. shredtrash

shredtrash Supporting Member

I just got a Keeley Fuzz Head to use as a lead boost. So far, it seems as if it's going to work great. I use a Java Boost for my main tone and the Fuzz Head for a booster. It has a lot of bite to it while retaining the fuzz characteristics as well. I haven't tried it live but I'm 99% sure it's going to smoke.

8. justonwo

justonwo Member

Maybe the Mayo? Most of the Skreddys I've played are pretty high gain, but the Mayo is probably the most over-the-top (in a good way).

9. TooManyHobbies

TooManyHobbies Member

Buy it.. you won't regret it. Another person I know demo'd mine today, and another one is placing an order.

10. JakeELee

JakeELee Member

I absolutely love the Top Fuel, my favorite sounding Skred that I've had so far. Screwdriver due to arrive this week (used), which I'm hugely excited about. I would not hesitate at the slightest in recommending the Top Fuel.

11. pulse.

pulse. Silver Supporting Member

I don't find it muddy at all nor woofy,
    it's a great little dist/fuzz pedal, with lots of
    sustain, very modern sounding and with a tweakable
    eq. For leads I think you could also consider
    a great boost so you don't have to set off the ds1 when
    you want to go from rhythm to lead, and if you
    choose a transparent booster you won't have changes on your tone

12. Seegs

Seegs Member

Screwdriver is pretty sweet and versatle too...you can dial it in for hums or single coils with the sharpness knob...great pedal...

other pedals with sweet lead tones that I have are the Landgraff Mo'd and the Tubeless OD...both are great for solo tones...

Chow,
    Seegs

13. [J.K.]

[J.K.] Member

Heh. Maybe I'm back at square one, then?
    Part of me likes that 80's metal sounding lead, very open and smooth, open for sweeps and picking dynamics, but part of me likes a good, mid-heavy fuzz sound for warmer tones... but it's just so hard to find a rich fuzz that has good definition and wide dynamics.

Would the Pink Flesh be a good idea? Everything I hear about it is great, but I don't think I'm really willing to drop $400 on a used pedal again.

I'm really fond of Gilmour's tones from The Wall (even though I'm not so partial to the album itself), which makes me lean toward the PF. On the other hand, there's another part of me, ashamed to admit it, that likes the tone of Buckethead songs like "Soothsayer" or "Nottingham Lace" and other stuff like Maiden's "Still Life" or Eric Johnson's "Cliffs of Dover." It's really hard, because they're all such different sounds, but there's something about a pronounced, open, mid-sound that really does it for me. I want something like an overdrive, just will more balls. I use an RC Boost and a Super Hard-On alot, but even when I kick in my SD-1 for a little extra smoothness, it's not quite enough for me. Both my Matamp and my Hiwatt have pretty rough lead tones, which is great for what I do, but I'd like the option of something a bit smoother...

14. pbone

pbone Member

The Top Fuel is a mid-heavy fuzz.

I'd go for the Top Fuel if I were you.

15. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Supporting Member

Plus you can dial the amount of treble to taste with the internal trimpot. It drives either my OCD or Silver Kiss into a (musical) sustainy feedback frenzy.

GREAT pedal IMHO.