1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Pedal for half step down??..

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by 1968, Dec 20, 2005.

1. 1968

1968 Member

Ok I don't know much about octave pedals and the like.. Is there a pedal that will drop down half a step??.. Actually need it for a keyboard..
    If so.. is there anything you can recommend?.. Preferably something cheap.. .

*Edit; Looking for a pitch shifter pedal.. only need half a step down- so any other settings would be a waste..

2. 1968

1968 Member

3. UnderTheGroove

UnderTheGroove Supporting Member

I'm not aware of a pedal that does a half step down. I'm not sure if this is any help, but any modern digital keyboard should have a setting to change the keys any number of steps up or down. You may have to dig down through some of the menus, however.

4. 1968

1968 Member

Ok I am looking for a 'pitch shifter'.. these pedals do exist.. Can anyone recommend a relatively cheap one (only need half a step down)- so anything else would be a waste..

5. BmoreTele

BmoreTele Supporting Member

Boss PS2, PS3, PS5.

6. 1968

1968 Member

are there any simpler pedals out there? keeping in mind I only need half a step down.. Possibly cutting the cost a bit?..

7. BmoreTele

BmoreTele Supporting Member

Don't think so. Do they make a capo for keyboards?

8. eric-d

eric-d Member

Play the black keys more... :D

9. brian marshall

brian marshall Member

it would probably actually be cheaper and sound better to go buy a $200 guitar and tune it down half a step.

there are not many pitch shifters that are very accurate or sound good with chords.

roland makes a number of things that use a hex divided pickup that sends a signal for each string, like the VG 88. That is probably that cheapest option that will actually sound OK, and i think its about $600.

edit: oops just noticed you want it for keyboards.

doesnt your keyboard have a transposition setting?

10. 1968

1968 Member

capos go up not down dammit :mad: :)

my keyboard player is a little bitch and his too lazy to play flat tuning :p

11. 1968

1968 Member

its for a KEYBOARD>.... :eek:

12. onemind

onemind Member

you could tune down a half step then capo the keyboard...bitch getting it around all the midi cables though!

13. 1968

1968 Member

I tried strapping my capo around the keyboard.. need a bigger capo :jo

14. 1968

1968 Member

yes its an old analog keyboard.

for god sake- I am not that stupid to not think about a flat tuning settings on the keyboard.. :rolleyes: :p

15. 1968

1968 Member

Yeah.. looks like boss is my only option at this stage.. might just be a matter of trying some out..

16. RUSHFANnLV

RUSHFANnLV Member

ok. I'll admit it. I had a Digitech RP-100 for a few months and it had a function on it that would tune me down a half step. It sounded ok and tracked pretty well. You can find them for like 50 bucks.

I do think that any keyboard player worth his pay should be able to transpose some chords though.

17. 1968

1968 Member

yeah its not the chords- its the improvising.. He wont admit it- but he likes it easy..

18. brian marshall

brian marshall Member

I actually played keys in a band a long time ago.... I was never very good, but one thing i cant tell you, mid song key changes are a lot harder on key boards than they are on guitar... of coures hes probably not trying to do it mid-song... just tell him to practice more.

19. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

There's always going to be a compromise in something like this, so why don't you just play it in standard tuning? That is what this is about, right? The band is tuning down half-step? It won't hurt anyone. And if it does, that would make the Keyboard player's whining just as valid, who wants to validate someone else's whining? Especially a keyboard player's?

20. michael patrick

michael patrick Supporting Member

Probably be easier and cheaper to get a new keyboard player.:AOK