Pedal for horn section sounds... (anything new?)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ruger9, Jul 12, 2019.

1. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

Wow, if the SY does a sh!tty impersonation, the Mel9 must be a joke LOL. I've used the Roland synth stuff back in the day, and it actually worked pretty well- and that was like 25 year ago! But like I said, I just need horns in a few places... not worth dealing with a synth or paying for the SY... altho the compact SY would be do-able, both price and size-wise...

I've got a harmonizer, and a fuzz, and I actually tried that.... it didn't sound like horns lol. My best results have been just forgetting about trying to copy horns and just do "organ" stabs instead (with my Arion Chorus)

2. CEFlint

CEFlint Member

I know you said you didn't really want to go the synth route for a few tunes.
    However, for about 15 years, I covered both guitar and brass with a band using a Roland GR-09 and a MIJ Strat with the synth pickup installed. Something like that's going to be your very best bet, IMHO. That band also had a real sax player, so I tweaked a setting combining the Brass Ensemble patch with a Tuba (just to fatten it up). With that, me and the sax player were the horn section and it worked great. You also will get nice keys, synths, and lots of other instruments with Roland quality patches. I have even used it to fill for bands who needed a fill-in keyboard.

You can occasionally pick up a used GR-09 for about $100-150 on Reverb or Ebay. Less than the cost of the SY or many of the pedals that have been suggested. And it'll do a better horn.

3. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Trumpets and Tants Silver Supporting Member

Let me put a positive spin on it. It will sound like an old casio keyboard doing it's take on a "horn section". It will track great and will stand out, tonally, compared to trying to cop those parts with your traditional lead tone or whatever other normal tools you have at your disposal. The Mel9 will do great if you are Bill Ruppert
    :anon

Here's some dumb clippage I did with the SY300 trying to cop those types of normal cover band synth tones

Wolfboy1, Not Orange and ruger9 like this.
  4. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

That's a killer synth tone and nice playing! For a "real" horn section, though, uggghhh...

JiveTurkey likes this.
  5. Kevy_Metal

Kevy_Metal Member

Very “Name the Pub House-Band” thread worthy.

Sam Xavier likes this.
  6. songtalk

songtalk Member

Basic Audio Low Volt. Thing crushes trumpet tones for me. Faceless FX De Sade with hi cut can get saxy. PTD Bone or Basic Audio Texsur or J Rockett WTF for trombones.

VooDooClown likes this.
  7. JiveTurkey

Thanks and agreed completely :cry: GR synths are much "better" sounding but you won't be able to match the tracking of the SY.

8. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

Perfect, now I just need 2 other guitar players so we can make a 3 piece horn section LOL

Not Orange, JiveTurkey and songtalk like this.
  9. Not Orange

Not Orange Supporting Member

NoNoNo, Rat. Isn't a Rat always the answer?

10. Not Orange

Not Orange Supporting Member

There's also pitch-to-midi boxes like the Sonuus G2M that tracks fairly well and don't require special pickups. I've got the earlier version and as long as I kept my picking clean and relatively slow it tracked fine.

I hook up the MIDI out to a half rack Kurtzweil Micro Ensemble which is small enough to fit under Pedal Train Classic.

The sounds in it are all samples but I get my 'realistic' horns, strings, etc sounds that way.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
    misa likes this.
  11. dewey decibel

dewey decibel Supporting Member

we eat a lot of cheese and drink a lot of beer
    Timmy.

Not Orange likes this.
  12. lefort_1

lefort_1 Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt Gold Supporting Member

Ever since this thread started, I've had some beautiful, old Tower of Power playin in my head.
    The saxes are getting in the way of the brass... and then I realized, you gotta have the ALL to do the right and proper thing by this subject.

So yeah, thanks for that... SERIOUSLY.

Here's a single clip that, if you listen all the way through, is a great example of all the different kind of attack, sustain, sway and decay that you'd have to pull off... and that's just for the punchy amplitude 'envelopes'. List to the difference between the quick little mellow cornet part vs all the staccato stuff.

We stringers are just fooling ourselves if we think we can punch up stuff like that.

BTW, I saw these guys back in about '72, just before I did my one year stint in our high-schools Jazz Lab band.... those guys and ladies were insane.. they made Chicago sound simple and our attempts at TOP weren't too far off, if I do say so myseff. ( I think 3 went on to be employed making music for a living)

PedalCrazyFool likes this.
  13. chrismellotron

chrismellotron Member

I love my Zippy!

Vhailor and VooDooClown like this.
  14. tronus

tronus Member

Just work out the triads and such and play the parts clean and clear. No pedal is going to be three horns... blues guys use horn section moves and licks all the time. If you want a bit of grind use some overdrive but dont obscure the note separation. Listen to that horn section and cop the style as best you can. It will translate to the listener more than piling more gear on

Not Orange and Jacob Van Noy like this.
  15. JiveTurkey

Yeah you aren't getting that kind of tracking or sound out of any guitar-centric solution :crazy:rotflmaoIt doesn't mean you shouldn't ever try to aspire, though. Horn sections willing to play in a band setting around a lot of places don't exist. So you could use tracks :anon

But I'd rather avoid songs of this level of intricacy and and see someone use existing gear to approximate horn sounds and parts successfully than just quit working songs with these parts altogether or cheat :dunno

16. Madsen

Madsen Member

As a keyboard guy who played trumpet & french horn in Jr High, I've always thought "synth brass" sounded like crap. I have yet to hear anything convincing in a pedal format. Some of the modern orchestral sample libraries sound pretty good though. If I was looking for a way to get Stevie Wonder Horn section stab sounds i'd find a way to trigger one of those.
    https://www.e-instruments.com/instruments/horns/session-horns-pro/

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
  17. Class5

Class5 Member

You win.:D

18. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

:roll

19. jimijimmyjeffy

jimijimmyjeffy Member

obviously only a polyphonic synth can do what the OP wants. Or horns. Silly and unrealistic thread

20. your name here

your name here Supporting Member

Download the ThumbJam app onto your phone and just use that. Cheap, easy and sounds good. I’ve done it for quick synth parts I needed to quickly pull off, when I didn’t wanna bother bringing and setting up synths.

:dunno