Pedal for limiting range+add static?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by SharpCat, Mar 11, 2020.

1. SharpCat

SharpCat Member

Every once in a while, a song has a section (usually at the start) where the sound is low dynamic range and noisy, kinda like an old phone line. Only example I can think of right now is When in Rome by Nickel Creek. How is that done?

I guess an EQ pedal could limit the range, but not add the noise. IIRC Ibanez had a pedal a long time ago (when TS808s and dinosaurs were young) for this--any one able to identify that or suggest other options? I guess it could be done in a DAW, but I would like a pedal to play with.

Thanks!

2. thomas4th

thomas4th Member

Strymon Mobius has an effect specifically for this - I think it's meant to be a vinyl simulator. The Ibanez might be the Lo-Fi pedal - LF-7, maybe?

ctreitzell and SharpCat like this.
  3. phazersonstun

phazersonstun Member

Yup. The Ibanez LF-7 (Lo Fi 7)was designed to do the EQ part of that thing. Anything with a high pass filter will do it. Can be approximated with a normal EQ pedal too.

With the noise added what you’re describing is the sound of an old record.

SharpCat likes this.
  4. SharpCat

SharpCat Member

Mobius samples sound great, but price is mighty steep.

ctreitzell likes this.
  5. thomas4th

thomas4th Member

You might also look into a Zoom MS-70CDR; a YouTube user called “Do Noise” has some videos about using it for lo-fi sounds, including comparing it to the Mobius.

SharpCat likes this.
  6. skern

skern Member

7. ctreitzell

ctreitzell Member

back in 2017 I was looking for a flanger and I spent 2 or 3 hours auditioning the Mobius verses the Orbit.

The settings on Mobius I liked best were DESTROYER and QUADRATURE. Orbit was much better at flange. I didn't purchase either, yet I was very tempted by the lofi and bit crushing possibilities in the Mobius. Obviously price on these is pretty high. I thought EHX had a product for bit crushing...If you are just looking for a HPF or bandpass, that's a different animal of eq.

8. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Isn't that also kind of the point of the Lo-Fi (Loop) Junky (with or without the digital recording chip)?

9. Boba7

Boba7 Member

Cooper Fx Generation Loss
    V2 should be right around the corner
    Or grab the Chasse Bliss x Copper Generation Loss