Pedal for looser lows but balanced mids

From TGP's extensive experience, would anyone be able to recommend an overdrive that responds like a Les Lius or High Powered Twin in the lows and highs, but doesn't have the mids scooped out?

I'm running various guitars through a HR Deville 4x10 and the natural scooped tone of the amp is only magnified by the pedal's natural EQ. Is there a pedal out there that would respond and have similar character to the LL but with a flatter EQ or a way to dial mids in and out?

Thanks in advance.

Low to medium gain at most. I’m looking to get a fatter grind for music in the vein of the Stones/Crowes.

I guess a tone I am trying to describe could be heard in the intro to “Sway” off Sticky Fingers. Its got that loose grind to it, but its fat, not scooped. The Les Lius can get the looseness, but the EQ isn’t right and I think its because I am basically adding to my problem with the pedals EQ.

Tweeker

Silver Supporting Member
Both my Catalinbread SFT and Formula No.5 give me nice loose lows, but keep the mids focused and forward.
Both do low to medium gain beautifully.

Fireball XL5

Silver Supporting Member
Not sure that I'm understanding your requirements here (??), but I'd look for something in the Tubescreamer vein for those fatter mids, but with a bit more openness and low end. You might want to check out a Fulldrive 2 and run it in the FM (Flat Mids) mode. Still adds midrange fatness, but sounds way more open than a straight up Tubescreamer. If you go with something more transparent you'll most likely not have the fat midrange you're seeking.

e-flat

Silver Supporting Member
The Bearfoot Honey Bee has a pretty present midrange.... Pretty balanced, and the lows are nice & loose. I'm not sure about copping the bass & treble character of the Les Lius, but it would certainly be worth checking out a HBOD if you want "looser" with flatter mids.

thiscalltoarms

more gadgets than Batman.
Platinum Supporting Member
Both my Catalinbread SFT and Formula No.5 give me nice loose lows, but keep the mids focused and forward.
Both do low to medium gain beautifully.
The Bearfoot Honey Bee has a pretty present midrange.... Pretty balanced, and the lows are nice & loose. I'm not sure about copping the bass & treble character of the Les Lius, but it would certainly be worth checking out a HBOD if you want "looser" with flatter mids.
HBOD and Formula No. 5 were my exact thoughts. Mad Professor Sweet Honey has a more similar treble to the LL though...

Not sure that I'm understanding your requirements here (??), but I'd look for something in the Tubescreamer vein for those fatter mids, but with a bit more openness and low end. You might want to check out a Fulldrive 2 and run it in the FM (Flat Mids) mode. Still adds midrange fatness, but sounds way more open than a straight up Tubescreamer. If you go with something more transparent you'll most likely not have the fat midrange you're seeking.
I think you misunderstood my requirements, but no worries, I appreciate the reply. I have a TS-based pedal and I love it, but the bass is way too tight and focused.

HBOD and Formula No. 5 were my exact thoughts. Mad Professor Sweet Honey has a more similar treble to the LL though...
I’ll give the “Bee” pedals a listen. I played the Sweet Honey at GC, the PCB version(if that matters), and I didn’t think it had much in common with the Les Lius. Granted, I only gave it about 10 minutes, and I really liked it, but it wasn’t what I was looking for at the time so I didn’t make much of an effort to retain much of its character in my memory. I’ll give it another shot though.

I’ve found that running a P90 neck in a semi-hollow can create some of the sound I am looking for in terms of loose lows, but the mids are my only issue.

Thanks for the input, all!

Jet Age Eric

Blackout Effectors Mantra. Baxendall tone stack can affect the mids, right kinda dirt--lows aren't LOOSE, but you can tweak 'em.

SolidgoldFX Zeta--VERY loose, very dirty and string-y, but tone control can really help you highlight the mids--PGS demo really captures the sound.

Lumpy's Liquid Lead might be worth checking, too. I'm sure there are other candidates. -E

Rydell

The Red Llama has a very tweed-like grind and pretty neutral EQ. You'd probably need to use your guitar's tone control a bit but that shouldn't be a big deal. If you can assemble a kit, the GGG version sounds great and goes for around $50.

splatt

david torn / splattercell
Platinum Supporting Member
I think you misunderstood my requirements, but no worries, I appreciate the reply. I have a TS-based pedal and I love it, but the bass is way too tight and focused.
don't take this in the wrong way, but:
wrong amp for job.

you might consider an amp that is more flexible & capable in the lower-mids & -lows,
pushed pretty hard with a suitably "loose" speaker-cab.

other than that
--- if you love your current fender amp ---
i'd suggest a Voodoo Labs Giggity pedal in conjunction w/your current OD.....
..... probably behind the OD, but you may wanna try it in front of it, as well.

Trending Topics