Pedal for making amp "seem" louder?

amdowell

Silver Supporting Member
Love the way my amp sounds cranked up (who doesn't?), but obviously can't crank it all the time. I notice that the louder it gets, the better it feels under my fingers and more pleasing to the ears. Is there a pedal you use to get a big, loud amp feel when you're not able to get the volume where you want it? A compressor? A boost? I feel like this is a super noob question, but I've never explored this before. I always just increased gain, but I am after a purring Plexi vibe from my amp, not to get too gainy.

SlyStrat

Silver Supporting Member
Barber Direct Drive Compact sounds like my Studio Vintage cranked.
Very dynamic. V3 or V4 for me.

FbIsNotE

Love the way my amp sounds cranked up (who doesn't?), but obviously can't crank it all the time. I notice that the louder it gets, the better it feels under my fingers and more pleasing to the ears. Is there a pedal you use to get a big, loud amp feel when you're not able to get the volume where you want it? A compressor? A boost? I feel like this is a super noob question, but I've never explored this before. I always just increased gain, but I am after a purring Plexi vibe from my amp, not to get too gainy.
This issue is why there is so much discussion about attenuators.

It's an issue with a lot of factors that don't have anything to do with the amp. Which is also why so many are not satisfied with attenuator results.

You know how old stereo systems had a "loudness" switch? That's how long this has been an issue engineers valued enough to address.

IMHO the cheapest approach for a guitar rig is an EQ. Something with presets makes it easy to have quick access to low volume EQ correction for clean an crunch.

A step up would be an attenuator (only for a tube amp) and an EQ.

The best solution IMHO is modeling. It's the most optioned/flexible solution to this eternal issue.

TheGuildedAge

Two things that work great are a Bearfoot Pale Green compressor.

Another is a simple MXR Micro Amp, or the Custom Audio Boost. Both of them add a little pop and presence.

Tabor

Silver Supporting Member
I like boosts / preamps that compress a little and fill out the sound for what you’re talking about.

Moog minifooger boost
Spaceman Saturn VI or Atlas III
Tone concepts Distillery
Bearfoot Sea Blue EQ

Fulltone has the 2b that might work well but I haven’t tried that one.

cosmic_ape

Silver Supporting Member
Where is the speaker cabinet pointed at? If you aren’t doing this already, buy yourself a tilted stand and point the can directly at your head.

Great tone, less volume. Sound guy happy. Win-win.

tubekingsley

This issue is why there is so much discussion about attenuators.

It's an issue with a lot of factors that don't have anything to do with the amp. Which is also why so many are not satisfied with attenuator results.

You know how old stereo systems had a "loudness" switch? That's how long this has been an issue engineers valued enough to address.

IMHO the cheapest approach for a guitar rig is an EQ. Something with presets makes it easy to have quick access to low volume EQ correction for clean an crunch.

A step up would be an attenuator (only for a tube amp) and an EQ.

The best solution IMHO is modeling. It's the most optioned/flexible solution to this eternal issue.
Attenuators are okay for shaving some volume off a cranked amp, but not so great for playing at lower volume, IMO

FbIsNotE

Attenuators are okay for shaving some volume off a cranked amp, but not so great for playing at lower volume, IMO
Agree.

That's why I recommended EQ as essential or to just abandon all hope and go modeling.

Or, buy an amp that naturally sounds great at low volume.

Changing speakers and cabs might be able to get you there too. Extension cabs offer that flexibility without messing with a stock combo. A head/cab setup offers even more.

Still, at the end of the day I think modelers/ sims are the best whisper volume solution.

Some of the ancient software like "Amplitude" still sounds great IMHO.

Jr Deluxe

Limiters, always on klons, more gain. All ways people try to get what you ask about. Nothing really does it like cranked volume. Sorry.

Trending Topics