Pedal for Modern Searing Leads into a Clean Amp

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Ape2000, Sep 11, 2019 at 7:01 PM.

1. Ape2000

Ape2000 Supporting Member

Hey y'all,

Looking for a solid drive/distortion/preamp pedal that can take a clean or edge of break up tone and push into hot liquid lead territory.

Players/tones I like:

• Teppei Teranishi from Thrice - currently Vox/Marshall/Supro/Bassman cranked with a TS and comp. Used to be a Mesa guy.
    • David Gilmour - Hiwatt+Muff+Colorsound+ridiculous chops
    • Jerry Cantrell - hot rodded Marshall/Bogner/Friedman
    • Petrucci/Timmons - Mesa
    • I grew up on a lot of 2000's "post hardcore" and metalcore and like some of the modern-era prog metal/djent, so that's another part of the lead tone DNA I seek. That said, that's not what I play. More of a post-rock/post-metal sort of guy.(bands like Funeral for a Friend, The Receiving End of Sirens, Periphery)

I'd love to find something that captures the HBE tone - not sure how the Friedman BE-OD does on that front. Other pedals I've considered include: Mesa Flux Drive, one of the Bogner offerings, 5150 overdrive, Amptweaker offerings and Abasi Pathos.

What do you recommend? This would be going into a Mesa Electra Dyne set relatively clean.

My main axe is a custom built jazzmaster with a warmoth neck. Korina body, wenge neck with ebony board. (one in my sig).
    Zhangbucker p90 neck, firebird middle, Wilde/Bill Lawrence L90 bridge.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019 at 9:10 PM
  2. slicepaperdavid

slicepaperdavid Member

Bogner Red or Friedman BE-OD are hard to beat for this. Sound and feel very 'amp like'

Vaibhav Joshi, 59Bassman and Ape2000 like this.
  3. kingrazor

kingrazor Member

4. Stratburst70

Stratburst70 Member

You didn’t mention what guitar you use in this rig; that makes a huge difference.

Off-hand, I would suggest the Bogner Ecstasy Red, Abasi Pathos, Wampler Dracarys and the Keeley Filaments.

Ape2000 likes this.
  5. Ape2000

I knew I forgot something. Thanks for pointing that out.

My main axe is a custom built jazzmaster with a warmoth neck. Korina body, wenge neck with ebony board. (one in my sig).
    Zhangbucker p90 neck, firebird middle, Wilde/Bill Lawrence L90 bridge.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019 at 9:09 PM
  6. Timanator

Timanator Member

7. Buck Woodson

Buck Woodson Supporting Member

8. JosephZdyrski

JosephZdyrski Member

For me a Rat does Liquid Lead about as well as anything else, if not better.

Ape2000 likes this.
  9. flatiron.putt.putt

flatiron.putt.putt Member

10. Ape2000

How are you setting yours? I know we've talked on a few threads. I'm digging it for tight rhythmic stuff a la Tool; but I think for a lead tone, I have something different. Could be in the settings! You running it standalone or with any other pedals?

11. Ape2000

Classic pedal, and one I've had a few times and a few variations of (including an original). I've liked it as a fuzzstortion for the smoother side of leads when I had it.

JosephZdyrski likes this.
  12. Ape2000

3 votes for the Bogner Red, 2 for the Filaments. Nice.

Admittedly, that Abasi Pathos has piqued my interest quite a bit for some reason.

I had a Bogner Burnley a while ago and loved it for heavy rhythms (think Russian Circles). It'd be a bit too dark with my current set up. Intrigued by the Red. Original or mini?

As for the Filaments, that thing gets a lot of love. I'll see what I can do to track these down and test em out.

13. westmike

westmike Silver Supporting Member

+1 on the Rat. Also, One Control Strawberry Red can do "searing lead."

Ape2000 likes this.
  14. mertay

mertay Member

This is very new so you won't find reviews yet. There is a software version so it can give a good idea.

Aside boss digital distortions, I've always preferred to stack and od to dist. pedal. You sure can get a lead tone with 1 pedal but if want a "searing" with a clean amp then either stack or it must have its own boost.

JATXMD and Ape2000 like this.
  15. Ape2000

Good point regarding stacking. The Rat/TS combo is well regarded for a reason. This Andy James pedal seems rad...

JosephZdyrski and mertay like this.
  16. mertay

mertay Member

I'm using an EHX Glove and mt2, going straight to soundcard only using an ir like in andy's video. Pedal selection is personal but if stacking I strongly advice the od pedal having a bass knob or switch, very useful for distortion shaping.

Ape2000 likes this.
  17. Ape2000

I like that focus footswitch. Also, holy chops. I always forgot how great of a player he is.

mertay likes this.
  18. henryjurstin13

henryjurstin13 Member

At first, I had a couple suggestions... but, then after reading through the others -- I thought, maybe I don't know "searing" tones at all. Dunno....

I was going to say Fulltone Plimsoul (because it is basically a rat+ts, right?) and maybe TrueTone (visual sound) Jekyll & Hyde.

Ape2000 likes this.
  19. Ape2000

Hey, we all use some of these goofy tone terms differently and hope we're close. I think some of these are more modern or based on high gain preamps than others; but, people have accomplished things in different ways.

henryjurstin13 likes this.
  20. juxtapolice

juxtapolice Member

Underrated pedal

Ape2000 likes this.