Pedal for "Red House" tone?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by rubbersoul, Aug 6, 2008.

1. rubbersoul

rubbersoul Member

I'll be purchasing a Gries 5 very, very soon...so...for a blackface-type-Fender-type-amp, what would be a good pedal to give me that Jimi 'Red House' blues tone?

It seems so thick to me on the lead lines...is there anything that will get a blackface into those territories?

Cheers

2. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

Jimi used a fuzz face for that tune (and many others). There are many quality fuzz face clones available. However, Most of the boutique FF clones are relatively expensive for a circuit that has 12 components. If you are handy with a soldering gun you can build one yourself for about $70. Check out BYOC pedal kits.

3. GBStratman

GBStratman Member

Depending on which version you're listening to, Jimi also has a slapback delay going, which also thickens the lead tone.

4. rubbersoul

rubbersoul Member

Thanks guys...I should have expected that it was a fuzz face...just didn't know if there were some other things to look at out there to recreate that sound, especially with blackface amps.

I thought I detected some delay happening there, so thanks for affirming that.

Cheers

5. jb1911

jb1911 Member

My BBB07 set for medium light OD does a pretty good job. I love germanium OD.

:drool

6. SGFan

SGFan Member

Germanium fuzz should do it. Not too much fuzz. And slapback echo.

7. jdandry

jdandry Member

I'm getting very close to Hendrix tones with my new Jetter GSB. I find the thing with fuzzes is that most of them like a either on the verge of breaking up or a overdriven amp to sound right, otherwise they can be thin, hard and harsh... some! It seems that most of the "classic" tone we shoot for can only be found there, you think Hendrix or Clapton was playing their Plexis on 3..probably more like 7-10 on the volume. Thats one cool thing about the GSB, it does like a breaking up amp but the pedal is made to sound like a fuzz into a overdriven plexi Marshall. Clapton in Cream..Hendrix..Gilmour..E. Johnson, seems to all be in there. I will write a full review later today on the Jetter GSB.

8. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Yeah...I think for the cleaner parts, a fuzz that cleans up well with guitar volume.

A very important point also, and I have no idea if he DID this, but it is the way I hear it....when playing some of the cleanest parts, if you pick physically up on the neck (like around the 12th fret or so) you get that "bubbly" sound that I always considered his trademark at least on the best versions I heard. As someone else pointed out, his tone varies quite a bit in different versions of the song.

9. smogfalls

smogfalls Member

Hey jb, where do you set the controls on your BBB'07 for that sound?

10. rubbersoul

rubbersoul Member

Cool...I'll be sure to check that out.

11. Franktone

Franktone Member

I could be wrong, but it sounds like Jimi is playing a strat plugged into an echoplex and then straight into a fully cranked Black Faced Fender amp, such as a twin or smaller amp. To me it sounds like output tube distortion.

12. CentralScrutini

CentralScrutini Member

I thought on the album version they added the delay afterwards.

But really, bridge pickup on any strat into any tube amp that's cooking a bit with a few EQ tweaks should get you right there. Assuming you can rip up the blues like Jimi could.

13. Franktone

Franktone Member

Your'e right CentralScrutini, the echo is so subtle, it was probably added later in the studio to round it out a little. Playing the song in the key of B at the 7th position using the neck pickup will give you that beautiful scooped bluesy sound. Notice that the 7th position is just about mid-way to the neck pickup to accentuate the deeper sounds, and the neck is already deep sounding. Role off the treble a little on the guitar or amp, and you get even closer. Beyond this, it will depend on how good of a strat you have, but most should get you awefully close, and how good your amp is. I find that my Bassman reissue does not a bad job, but is getting two loud. I tried Scottone's Stephenson 30 and found when set to a single EL84 output tube, that it got quite close to that sound. I would guess that many other small tube amps would get close to that sound also, you just got to crank em up and try em out. Jimi was way ahead of everybody in terms of showing us how to get tone.

14. Franktone

Franktone Member

Remember Jimi is the man with those big powerful, yet sensitive, fingers - Full of real Blues, from the heart.

15. Sid

Sid Member

I actually did a cover of red house...and although I was not particularly search for Jimi's tone...I was looking in the ballpark...I am using the Gries 5(red and blonde:D)....what I used....was:

Sunface(set at medium gain)->Screwdriver(set at low gain and slightly sharp)->EHX DMM set to almost a slapback style echo

Use my volume knob for clean to distorted....

Switch on my clean boost at the END of the chain during the solo...reallly thickens up the Gries' tone...

16. Franktone

Franktone Member

Those Gries amps seem like a good choice.

17. rubbersoul

rubbersoul Member

That sounds alright man...thanks for the tips.

18. jb1911

jb1911 Member

Driver = 2:00
    Blend = 11:00

Start your tweeking there.

19. doctorx

doctorx Member

I agree. I don't hear any Fuzz on that track. He also used an EP-2 plex for the slapback, they didn't add it in after the fact.

I don't know if this has been confirmed, but I've read he used a Rickenbacker guitar on that track instead of a Strat, although it sounds like a Strat to me.

20. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

A fuzz into a Fender doesn't sound like a fuzz into a pegged Marshall.