1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Pedal for Sananta tone, into a SS amp

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Luke, Oct 5, 2006.

1. Luke

Luke Senior Member

Friend just started playing guitar again. He asked me if there is a pedal that will give him that compressed, sustained Santana tone. He has a basic, cheap solid state amp that he is ok with its clean tone. So what will make such an amp sound like a cranked Dumble? :jo

2. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Supporting Member

3. nickreynolds

nickreynolds Member

hahaha, I may get laughed at for this one, but I've heard some good creamy overdrives come out of the PodXT... Although if there was a pedal that made a cheap solid state amp sound like a Dumble or Boogie Mark I, why we spend so much money on Klons, DR Zs, Demeters and such? hahah

4. Aruntang

Aruntang Member

Mesa Boogie V-Twin Preamp Pedal might help your friend. Though it might cost as much or more than your friends solid state amp.

5. curtisstetka

curtisstetka Member

I used a Fulldrive II into a Roland JC-120 for several years.

6. A440

A440 Silver Supporting Member

an old proco rat will get you there

7. Dr Rico

Dr Rico Member

If your friend is careful to not overdrive the SS amp (i.e. run it perfectly clean), the Barber Burn Unit will work. I've done it and it is better than adequate.

8. jezzzz2003

jezzzz2003 Member

Just tell him that it cannot be done with a SS amp.
    Instead of wasting money on various pedals over the years to try and emulate his sound, just lay buy a good tube amp, he'll need never buy another drive pedal again, be extremely happy with his purchase and live happily ever after.

9. Big0range

Big0range Member

It's not the pedal - he needs to buy a PRS Santana III. :D

10. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

A tonebone Hot British does it for me into my SS amp. Also, try rolling the tone knob back some

11. Powderfinger

Powderfinger Gold Supporting Member

Although it doesn't get a lot of play here, I'm a big fan of the SansAmp GT-2. You can get a million different sounds, including smooth and creamy. And since it's designed to function as a direct box, it's perfect for running through a SS amp to emulate a tube amp.

12. LVC

LVC Senior Member

ZenDrive nails -- Santana tone. I use it with my Fuchs ODS (through single coils!)

I set the Fuchs ODS to a light gain -- Gain at 10 (tone controls around 11) input at 11 out put at 10) also amp is tuned for lighter gain.

Set the Zendrive to the following

Vol 10 Tone 2 Voice 11 Dist 11) --- pretty much nails Santana --- throw the mid boost on the Fuchs and I am in RF land (think Miller's Son).

A timmy will get you there as well -- not as good as Zen -- but close enough

Also a much cheaper solution for an SS amp (and one that give you a lot of flex) is the PODXT --- you can actually download some pretty good Santana settings from their website.

13. Ed Alvarado

Ed Alvarado Member

Barber Direct Drive and a neck humbucker.

14. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

For cheap...how about a nano-muff?

15. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
    Your best bet may be using two pedals, you'll find that if you run a TS9 into a DS-1 you can get some pretty good sustaining compressed tones. You can get both pedals used for a total under $125.

TheGrooveking

16. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

try a MI audio blues pro for the compressed sustain santana tone as far as the dumble. barber small fry, zendrive.(good luck)- menatone howie, hao rumble mod and others can chime in.

17. exodus

exodus Member

easy. any pedal into a v-stack into a clean SS amp.

18. Brett Valentine

Brett Valentine Member

MI Audio Blue Boy Deluxe does a good job, but the Tube Zone get's a bit closer to my ears. The Tone and Mid knobs can get you close to that big midrange warmth, and the Character knob does a pretty good job of getting that thick bottom end tone he has when he pays down low.

Brett

19. David_Gerald

David_Gerald Member

Try the Mesa Boogie V-Twin pedal. I was easily able to get the Santana tone into a Marshall AVT amp's clean channel. Good pedal for that sound. Peace.

20. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

Cheap? Look into a fab tone, the tone controls are a bit touchy, but once you dial it in, it's pretty cool. And it has monster gain on tap! The gain probably won't need to be past 9 o'clock.