Pedal-GAS: you were deep in, and you got out

Sparadrap

For those who triumphed over GAS, can you share how deep you were in, and how clean you currently are?

I have gathered several tens of pedals recently during a short period of time (a little embarrased to really count, actually), and I plan to get rid of most of those (I would keep say 10 dirt pedals, 5 delays). Is my plan feasible?

Rolo

For those who triumphed over GAS, can you share how deep you were in, and how clean you currently are?

I have gathered several tens of pedals recently during a short period of time (a little embarrased to really count, actually), and I plan to get rid of most of those (I would keep say 10 dirt pedals, 5 delays). Is my plan feasible?
Have seen many shiny pedals come out since 2006. I learn to disregard looks, ads and paid reviews. Learned that pedals had to stir my interest by the way they sound not by how cool they look.

I made two small boards of about 5-8 pedals.
I made a decision of only buying new sounds. Some people have 15 Overdrives, but in reality how many frequency combinations can one really have and sound unique? Imho we mainly have Lows, Mid-Lows, Mid-Mids, Mid Highs and Highs. So my Overdrive needs stir around my tastes of wanting One Low growl Od for fat riffs and leads, a Mid Mid hard rocking Od, and a High Tight Bottom metal riffing Od.

My advise is: Ask yourself some questions.
Is this a new sound or is it similar to one of my pedals?
Are u buying as an excuse for not working on your playing skills and due to lacking new song ideas?
My main motivation in buying a new piece of gear is using it to inspire my playing, recording a new song with it and having a new sound in my tone arsenal.
Pedals are great tone machines. They keeps us far away from spending too much on the new shiny amps.

Last edited:

TheoDog

Silver Supporting Member
I have had a few stages where I was expecting up to a usps package per day and multiples some days for almost a month at a time. More than once I sent multiple packages out with flip flopped shipping labels by accident. I have a few memories of selling a pedal on the emporium and mailing it out the same day it arrived.
And yes, I have received pedals I don’t remember buying.

I’m not sure if I’m actually a GAS addict. I describe it that my gear dealing is a hobby separate from my music career.

Besides strings, the only gear I have bought since the COVID pandemic ramped up is a compressor for my acoustic and an upgraded expression pedal for my HX Stomp setup.

2 things that have curbed my gear trading hobby expense are:
1. Gigging regularly. Once you realize what gear you really NEED to earn money and how little money you earn, there’s less reason to splurge. Plus, it’s not feasible to have your gigging rig in a constant state of change.
2. Marital separation. Not much to say about that. Our marriage ultimately survived and I haven’t had a GAS relapse... yet. Funny story, though, I purchased an IR for my Stomp and mentioned it to my wife in passing so she would know what the odd title on the CC is. I told her “I spent $5.99 on a thing for my amp sim.” She heard “599 on a guitar thing.” It was 3 days later that she understood it was 6 bucks, not $600. :bonk

Formerly posted as MkIIC+
Silver Supporting Member
Maybe it's just me but I find pedals tend to complicate tone. When I take right guitar, put it into the front end of the right amp, with the right speaker cabinet, then get the gain, EQ and presence dialed in to the room, that's about as good as it's going to get. Especially when you get the guitar working together with the amp at a good volume level.

Throwing a couple two or three pedals into that mix usually provides a little versatility without being much worse for wear. I can work through that easy enough, especially simple pedals like boosters, delay, chorus or a good fuzz. But when trying to get a full board with 6-12 pedals with all sorts of knobs for volume and tone introduced into the signal chains with the associated buffers, A/D conversion, patch cables and power supplies, then things can go sideways fast. I don't think I've ever assembled a board with six or more pedals that didn't sound lesser than compared to going straight into the amp.

I've got three kind of pedals...

1) classic Boss stand alone pedals (chorus, trem, octave, delay, overdrive) that take batteries which are easy to toss on the floor whenever
2) favorite go-to board based pedals (phaser, leslie-sim, fuzz, boost, tap delay) that mostly sit on a pedal board ready to go
3) highly useful utility-oriented pedals (ABY, looper, volume, Head-Track, CabBone, Le Crunch preamp) that give me specialized capabilities as needed.

It's reasonable and common to go through an acquisition phase where one is learning and experiencing different flavors. I certaintly did and I definitely like pedals but to have a bunch sitting around in boxes is a waste of time and money. If they aren't being put good use, might as well move them on down the line.

Last edited:

Average Joe

Play more music. I'm in four different projects right now, which is objectively too many for a day-jobber. One gear related fall out from this is that I spend all my music time learning actual music rather than putzing w gear, another is that since setup/teardown times are faily short, i tend to simply grab gear that I know will work - the old standbys. Reliability, tonally and structurally as well as portability are kings right now. I have neither the inclination nor the time for GAS atm....I'm sure it'll come back

Flogger59

I had a plan, I stuck to it. Once I achieved what I wanted, the GAS went away and the playing increased.

I needed a board that would cover your bread and butter sounds of 7 decades of popular guitar based music (admittedly light on the 80's). There is a lot of gain stacking, delay chorus/doubler/slapback, and Echoplex, and the usual modulation suspects (whammy, Leslie, Univibe, phasers, wahs,flanger). The final piece was a power supply that could handle all the requirements (CS12).

I put it together, it worked, it was quiet. Done! 20200217_073220.jpg

Last edited:

Fulldrive-1

Play more. Chase more girls. Buy fewer pedals.

Seriously, some of y'all sound like going through thousands of dollars worth of the things. I agree with the idea above that this is something in addition to pursuing music.

I have only what I use with the band, with the exception of my five flangers. But the flangers are all very different different and are cool for messing around. But 10+ overdrives?

Musicians are not alone. Over at the shooter websites, GAS = Gun Acquisition Syndrome.

Lung plunger

A good (well not really 'good') unexpected crisis is what you need if you get trapped too deep in the GAS vortex and are looking for an escape.

Veterinary bills and a 14yr old cat were the leather boot that kicked me off the GAS train. While making a listing for one of my last fuzz boxes the other day, I clicked on the similar listings banner and started to get physically ill as the pics of hammertone and NOS transistors filled the screen.

Good luck to the rest of y'all, but I fear that it'll be 2021 before I start considering buying anymore FX.

Jazzandmore

Platinum Supporting Member
Be very selective with what you get. Go deeeeep in checking out the pedal and it’s rivals before you decide. This narrows things down a lot and reduces GAS in the long run. 10 dirt and 5 delay is a good number.

Buy pedals that blow your socks off, not ones that are just Ok or just pretty good. Only keep those that meet your expectations.

Last edited:

rizla

Silver Supporting Member
Eventually you plug in pedals you bought 36yrs ago and you realize the last 30 ods you bought sound similar.

I bought a kingsley jester and it works so well through my amp and speaker that I sold a lot of pedals and amps. This also happened around the same time as I changed speaker in my amp, was taking lessons, gigging 3 nights a week and basically playing all day everyday.
Not sure if the jester cured me, if it was the speaker change or just putting in the hours working on chops and technique.

What ever it was it ended everything gas wise.

I do have 16 tabs open looking for a new amp though, so.....

At my worst, I owned around 400 pedals.
I remember times when I would buy a dozen in a single month.

Even before Covid,
I decided that 2020 would be different.

I have sold 19 pedals this year,
and only bought one.

The answer was to play more,
use what I have .

I am so deep now, into trying all the possibilities
of my gear stash, that I have no time to obsess over the
next shiny object.

Right about now, I am just as accustomed
to NOT buying new pedals, as I once was buying
new pedals.

Old dogs can indeed learn new tricks.

SubApathy

I thought I recovered from GAS but it turned out to be like the ending to the movie Descent. (Spoiler alart)

I got out, ran away, hopped in the vehicle, stopped to catch a breath...and ended up waking up in the dark cavern called GAS.

PhuzzphayzZ

I thought I recovered from GAS but it turned out to be like the ending to the movie Descent. (Spoiler alart)

I got out, ran away, hopped in the vehicle, stopped to catch a breath...and ended up waking up in the dark cavern called GAS.
You've got to confuse GAS,... keep it guessing,... make GAS afraid of YOU!!!

If one thinks they've got GAS beat,... lol,... it's out in the parking lot doing pushups whilst you virtue signal!!! True Story!!!!

Jazzandmore

Dude. You're a musician. You shouldn't be spending a penny on girls. I didn't, back when I was single.
Ha ha....no no no, I’m a military officer. I would have starved to death long ago if trying to pay for food on my musical abilities.

Jahn

Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver
Silver Supporting Member
Yep I got out. Have a good balance going on now. Really good advice above. Figure out what you want to sound like on electric, and then maybe your next best sound. I stick to “smash the rhythm” and a loop for “what is this madness.” Then build your best chain. Don’t diverge, don’t duplicate.

my rhythm- Centura for mid boost. Tim for OD and top boost. RV-6 for reverb. Done.

madness- DOD wah. CE-1 chorus. DMM delay. Swamp thang trem. And use the RV-6 again for crazier time things.

if you can tempt yourself in a disciplined way, have one or two pedals off the board for true situational things. Like my champion fuzz for more severe freak outs. Or my janglebox for the compression my Ric 360-12 needs.

so you end up not starving yourself but not gorging either. I think that should work for you- it did for me!

Trending Topics