Pedal Guts shots

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by drfrankencopter, Mar 16, 2008.

1. drfrankencopter

drfrankencopter Member

Hi All,

I had a little extra time, and a screwdriver handy, so I took apart a few pedals, took some pictures, and figured I'd post em here for your benefit. Enjoy:

First up: Pigtronix Echolution
    [​IMG]
    If you're staring at this with a magnifying glass you might note the use of JRC4558's for buffer/drive, and a CA3080 for the tremelo modulation (I assume). This is an early model, and had a few hand soldered touch-ups.

Next: for comparison, the Eventide Timefactor
    [​IMG]
    Sorry guys, but I won't dig any deeper into this pedal...maybe someone else will feel more adventurous. I did notice some shiny metallic stuff on the side underneath the encoders, and I wonder if this is the sheilding that seemed to address the noise issues that affected the early models.

Next: MI Audio crunchbox
    [​IMG]
    Simple....and very clean.

Finally: fulltone Supa Trem
    [​IMG]
    All the IC's, and even the Vactrol have been covered in marker...it's not rocket science to figure out what's been used though, since holding it up to the light reveals the part names.

I hope somebody enjoys this....feel free to add more!

Cheers

Kris

2. iaresee

iaresee Member

Gah! I was all into Pigtronix stuff...but...a Xilinx Spartan?!?! Oh man, now I can't buy one! Damn.

3. drfrankencopter

drfrankencopter Member

What's wrong with using a Xilinx FPGA?

Cheers

Kris

4. iaresee

iaresee Member

I work for their competition. I'll actually be releasing an open source design for a delay pedal that works with our university lab board done by the end of the year. :)

5. drfrankencopter

drfrankencopter Member

That's cool....keep me posted. I'd be interested in programming one up.

Cheers

Kris

6. iaresee

iaresee Member

I was all set to give Line6 some cash for their new ToneCore Dev Kit and then I started looking at our DE2 board and...no sweat...I can make a very nice delay work with that board. Might even work in the older DE1 board. And hey, end result is maybe some university engineers get to build a pedal for a lab. When it's done I'll let you know.