Pedal Harmonizers???

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by tubetone74, Mar 6, 2006.

1. tubetone74

tubetone74 Supporting Member

Please no flames as I think I might be showing my ignorance. :confused:
    But... are there any types of harmonizers that come in pedals that are the size of other stomp boxes? I have seen the rack units and they are quite expensive. I will appreciate any help you can provide. Thanks.

2. jordanL

jordanL Member

Boss has had a few, the HR-2 harmonist had 2 voices, One knob lets you select the key you'll be playing in, and other knobs the level and interval.

The supershifter had one harmony, plus it perfromed a few other pitch shifting tricks.

3. GuitslingerTim

GuitslingerTim Member

The Boss PS-5 is the latest addition to my board and I'm having a blast with it. It has a Pitch shifter, harmonizer, detuner and more. Check it out.

4. Doug H

Doug H Senior Member

I just got my PS-5 last week and love it. Lotta fun!

Doug

5. tubetone74

tubetone74 Supporting Member

Thanks guys. Wonder why I have not heard of the Boss one?

6. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Because it's more fun than it is a serious tool? The problem with harmonizers is that keeping the timbre of the note the same is really hard as you go more than a few semi-tones, so with the processing power you can put in a Boss sized box you're not going to really sound like 3 identical guitars or singers. There's a reason that Eventide boxes still sell for $500-800 even though they're 14 years old-ancient in the digital effects world: because they get the processing right and sound good even with 6ths. So, for a fun break in a song, yup, the shifter built into the PS5 or HR-2 is fine, but for a studio or "I use it all the time" tool, I"d step up to a rack unit...

7. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

I owned a RI Whammy pedal for over a year and eventually sold it as I rarely used it.

However, when I tried out the Boss PS-5 in the store, I found it to be superior to the whammy, even without the expression pedal. It is quite an impressive lil box

8. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

9. Cokemachine

Cokemachine Member

I made the jump to an Eventide Eclipse about a month ago, but prior to that I had been using a Boss PS-5. For what it is, it does an excellent job and is a blast just to screw around with. The pitch shifting is decent, the harmonizer tracks very well and the detuner is cool. The PS-5 blows away the Whammy for those kind of sounds.

The thing that I liked most about the PS-5 was its simplicity - a couple to twists of the knobs and you've got a harmonized 5ths in E. I've had my Eventide for a month and I just finished reading the manual.

10. LouRossi

LouRossi Member

Can you use expression pedal in all the modes or just 'trem arm'? That's the cool thing about the whammy as you can get in btw the cracks...

11. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

I have no idea. I generally used the treadle on the whammy to shoot from regular octave to octave up and back again, a la solo in New Born by Muse.

Using the "flutter" setting, I was able to do this with the PS-5. What it does is it shoots up to the whammied pitch when you hold down the pedal(speed it does it at is controllable by a knob) and stays there until you take your foot off the pedal. Tapping on it quickly I was able to get weird sounds, that are those "in between" notes you mentioned, but was not able to make it stick to one pitch

Never tried it with an exp. pedal

12. jazzgitter

jazzgitter Member

The Zoom G2 is a compact pedal and is doing a decent job for me with the built in harmonizer. It can do three parts or 2 parts in major or minor keys. It's a steal for $99. Check it out.

13. Occam

Occam Member

I've always liked the Whammy reissue the best. I only really used the 3rds and I'm not picky enough to care all that much about the specific key...I'm definitely someone that falls into the "fun" category for harmonizing. Isn't the new E-H HOG a harmonizer or something?

14. moodog

moodog Member

Octave pedals???

15. GuitslingerTim

GuitslingerTim Member

Yes, the expression pedal works in every mode for a continous change in pitch. The range of pitch is determined by the settings on the pedal. I've yet to work with the expression pedal as a tool for altering pitch on the fly, it seems a little ineffective for that, meaning that if you don't go from no pitch change to the maximum, you wind up creating pitches that are offkey. What would be great is an expression pedal that has an adjustable rate of travel for controlling the sweep. What's good about it though is being able to go to and from any mode to no pitch change by stepping on the expression pedal instead of having to turn the pedal on and off.

16. GuitslingerTim

GuitslingerTim Member

The PS-5 works great as an octave pedal. Within a few minutes of experimenting with the -1 octave setting I was able to work out a good version of Gypsy Eyes by Hendrix, and wrote an original tune in the same mode last night.

17. Doug H

Doug H Senior Member

Potentially silly question: Does the HOG have stereo output? One of the reasons I didn't get more interested in the POG was because it was mono.

Doug

18. Doug H

Doug H Senior Member

Maybe so. I'm not overly familiar with harmonizers per se. My original interest in the PS-5 was for the detune mode which is a very lush stereo chorus with no pitch wobble. I was looking for some "stereo expansion" and this was just what I wanted.

The harmonizer works very well, tracks well, is easy to use, etc. It is not perfect, wrt timbre and so forth, but does basically everything I expected and does it in stereo which is nice. It might be tricky to change interval widths in real time with the expr pedal but I don't have that. In all honesty, if I was going to get seriously into sophisticated multiple guitar harmonies and etc. I would just get another guitarist anyway. BTW, there are some nice "guitar synth lead tones" available by dialing it up wet and futzing with guitar pup/tone settings.

The pitch shifter works great and with chords it can get nice bell-like overtones as well as 12 string sounds in addition to all the typical octave and fixed interval stuff.

I don't use the whammy stuff, but it works well and the construction is superior to the digitech stuff.

The stereo chorus alone was worth the $150 I paid for it, so everything else is icing on the cake. What I love about this pedal is that I discover something new to do with it every day.

Serious tool? I guess it depends on how you use it.

Doug

19. Electric I

Electric I Member

Yes indeed.

With zoom's 32-bit processing @ 96kHz, the tracking is superior to other stompers.