Pedal help, treble boost and fuzz

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Platypus, Jun 10, 2006.

1. Platypus

Platypus not in rivers, but in drops Supporting Member

So I checked out Make N Music today in Chicago, which turned out to be a really kickass store, highly recommended, and got to try out two pedals I've been looking at for a while. The Germacide by HBE and the Fuzz Factory and was less than overwhelmed with the result.

I was going into an Orange rocker 30 as that's what these pedals would be used with at home and neither of them performed like I thought they would based on what I've read about them. The Germacide was a nice pedal but it didn't really give me the tone I was after and my OCD does all its tones and more (to my ears).. so suggestions on a treble booster that would give me that really trebly/nasal/harsh clip on Sabbath and Zep records? I tried the Xotic AC and RC boosters as well as the Keeley Java boost and none of them really fit the bill for me. I've heard lots about the Beano Boost as well but it'd be impossible to try it before I buy it. All the pedals I auditioned with the Orange didn't really do much more than a full overdrive boost sound, some even made the tone more bassy?

As far as the Fuzz Factory.. I know this little pedal is notorious for being hard to figure out, but even the stock settings they provide with the instructions didn't rock my world in the least.. it seems every combination just produced weird noise instead of usable effect... so same situation here.. I want a pedal that can do Zep/Hendrix style smooth fuzz all the way to Smashing Pumpkins style big muff to industrial wall of sound a la Nine Inch Nails.. does such a beast exist? All the tones that came out of the FF were very bassy and not very trebly at all.

Any suggestions or suggestions (maybe I screwed something up?) would be very welcome..

2. Filter428

Filter428 Member

As treble boosters go...if you want that Sabbath sound try a BSM RM-Metal or a Pro Analog Top Boost.

As for fuzzes....Check out a D*A*M Meathead, a Tone factor Huckleberry.

Good Luck!

3. somedude

somedude Member

I've used the AM Beano Boost. If you're looking for a treble boost, this'll do it. I also found the other two tone positions quite useful.

Can't help you with the FF though.

4. gururyan

gururyan Member

[​IMG]

I'm really digging my Huck. I can get vintage D+ out of it as well as great silicon type fuzz...sometimes I can get it to sound like my MJM London Fuzz.

5. El Gallo Negro

El Gallo Negro Member

For fuzz, try the Retroman Sybil.

6. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

Here are the two fuzzes that I have found to be most useful on my board. I am after the same types of fuzzes that you like.
    [​IMG]

The FF has been in full use for the past two years for me. The key that I found regarding great tone is that I back off on the guitar volume to at least half. On many settings, I can actually go from cleanish tones to overdriven tones to super pinched lead tones on the guitar volume only.
    I use the FF for more modern type fuzz tones and oscillating madness that I have found to be quite useable even in a world/ambient project that I participated in not too long ago.

I have finally found a great sounding thick and chewey fuzz tone in my Soulbender. Again, using the Volume knob, I have a great clean tone and can whip out a great sounding EJ fuzz tone as well.

With both pedals, I do not use my guitar volume at full tilt and I use my tone controls with equal frequency.

Again, with both pedals, I use a Cornish SS-2 for a killer lead boost that just sings! I love that pedal!

So, I am very satisfied with my current fuzz setup. I did use a Retroman Sybill for a time. That was a very, very nice sounding pedal with a huge pallette for tonal option. It was simply not the sound that I was looking for. I also had a ProAnalog MK2 for a time. That pedal may not have been set up properly or rather, to my taste, because I have read that many people love the rich, thick tone that comes from this box. Mine sounded a bit gritty and spatty to me. Fatback has one that he loves. I wonder if he has done a video clip of that pedal?

Anyway, I find that using the volume knob on the guitar is one of the major keys to getting great tone that is useable from a fuzz. M.E.

7. Platypus

Thanks for the suggestions on the fuzz, your comments were very helpful michael, i'll give the volume thing a try for sure as I figured there was something I may have been doing wrong..

Any ideas on the treble boost? (that's first priority for me)

8. somedude

somedude Member

Beano Boost.

Once you open one up and look inside, the extra money for the BSM version just seems silly.

9. madsr

madsr Member

I have the retroman beano.. great treble boost..it does exactly what it should for $155 shipped new from retroman..

10. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

Michael E. What are the 2 small black boxes on your board?

11. uberschall

uberschall Supporting Member

For treble boost, did you try the HBE Germania? I've got the same purple one that Michael E. has in his pic, and I get more than enough Queen/Sabbath/Zep brightness out of that thing. Two very different and useable modes, and has a very organic, touch-sensitive feel, too.

12. Garygtr

Garygtr Almost as good! Silver Supporting Member

+1! I absolutely love this pedal, very useable eq, great smooth, singing tone.
    :BOUNCE

13. Platypus

The Germania is actually the one I REALLY wanted to try however they didn't carry it; they only had the Germacide. If anyone has tried both of these I'd love to hear if the Germania is more up my alley. I'm hesitant to order it now after my experience with the Germacide. I'd love it if someone could post a clip of that pedal doing some licks to see if it was more in my realm. The idea that it has one knob is very appealing to me simply because I only want to adjust one sound.. all the other pedals had gain and EQ controls...

How does the Germania compare to the Beano for those who have tried/own both? I've always heard great things about the Beano...

As far as fuzz, I am going to round up some clips for the sounds I want but does anyone have clips of the Huckleberry in the meantime?

Songs to check out: Smashing Pumpkins - Soma, Porcelina, Thru the Eyes of Ruby (for a more usable smooth trebly fuzz) and then The Everlasting Gaze's chorus for the industrial wall of sound fuzz I am looking for.

14. gururyan

gururyan Member

15. Platypus

16. somedude

somedude Member

The first one is probably a strait up Big Muff. They all sound different, and he's used a whole bunch of them over the years.

The second one sounds like he's layered his fuzzes. He's known for layering using an EHX Microsynth, Univox Superfuzz, Fender Blender, going striat to the board and overdriving that, and using strait up amp dirt. In truth he probably uses more than that, but the key to the wall of fuzz sound is adding layer after layer of guitars, feedback, fuzz, and drones.

17. Platypus

Cool thanks for the info.

I tried out the BMP a few years ago and it didn't do anything for me, sounded too synthetic for my tastes but I hear the older ones are good (op-amp?). Is there any way to nail that wall of fuzz tone with just one pedal or is that only acheivable with multiple layers?

Can you comment on whether the beano can touch the treble clip I posted?

18. somedude

somedude Member

Two guitarists.

I've owned 5 different BMPs and used a bunch more and they all sound different. The trick is to find one that suits your style....some are smoother and some are more edgy. Some are cutting and some sound like they have a blanket on them. If you listen to Corgan's tone between Mayonase and Zero you'll hear quite a difference, yet both are Muffs (though I'm pretty sure the solo in Mayonase is a Microsynth). I really like the new Little Big Muff, and I like it better than the old mid 70s model I recently sold.

The trick with a Muff is finding the right amp and using either low output pickups or rolling the volume down. Fuzz generally sounds better with singles IMO.

The op-amp Muffs are the least desireable.

Yes.

19. Platypus

Interesting, I didn't realize there was that much fluctuation between pedals of the same make but I guess it doesn't surprise me as that rule applies to guitars and what not. Thanks for the info. From the reviews it looks like that Huckleberry can do some muff type sounds as well. I've seen a few people commenting now about rolling off the volume on the guitar, something I never would have thought of.. I'll def give this a try next time I check them out.

Thanks again.

20. THROBAK

THROBAK Gold Supporting Member Vendor

Check the clips of my Strange Master on my site. I voiced the pedal for a more aggressive grind. Think Sabbath, Judas Priest... The bias adjustment subtly effects how tight or loose the low end character of the pedal is.

www.throbak.com