Pedal Innovation Project

JohnW1988

Hey all, I am a student at Lehigh University in a product innovation class. We are working to bring a new pedal to the market, and would appreciate it greatly if you would fill out this quick survey! The link is: http://goo.gl/forms/TrN4I7PQFv. We look forward to learning about the market and thanks for all your help!

DBBlues

Formerly fullertone
Gold Supporting Member
I'd like to hear more about your project, and good luck!

erksin

I read the survey, but am having a hard time understanding how that data will aid in creating anything other than a maximum price point, which is pretty much the last piece of the puzzle.

JohnW1988

We are a team of 6 students in a senior design class working with a sponsor with a passion to enter the effects pedal market. We are doing preliminary research to become familiar with the market and see where we can pivot from there to narrow our focus. Thanks for looking at the survey!

ERGExplorer

Thanks for the opportunity to help decide what would be a profitable target, but I'm good with instead buying from those who develop something because they have expertise and vision in the field.

This just reeks of the same "Hey, let's subcontract out the whole Beat Buddy!" thing, where they finally had to use an end user's editor because they didn't have the in-house expertise *or* the willingness to pay for such to make a Mac editor.

Maybe I'm wrong, though. Fill us in, with as much detail as possible, about the party who is hoping to build the pedal. Who is it? What positive experience and successes do they have in building effects?

Or is the sponsor just providing the cash, and the students the vision? In that case, is the choice of guitar effects just a happy accident, with no experience but with visions of an easy market with lots of disposable income just waiting to be raked in?

Last edited:

Clark GriswoId

Looks Great. Little Full, Lotta Sap.
Silver Supporting Member
Thanks for the opportunity to help decide what would be a profitable target, but I'm good with instead buying from those who develop something because they have expertise and vision in the field.

This just reeks of the same "Hey, let's subcontract out the whole Beat Buddy!" thing, where they finally had to use an end user's editor because they didn't have the in-house expertise *or* the willingness to pay for such to make a Mac editor.

Maybe I'm wrong, though. Fill us in, with as much detail as possible, about the party who is hoping to build the pedal. Who is it? What positive experience and successes do they have in building effects?

Or is the sponsor just providing the cash, and the students the vision? In that case, is the choice of guitar effects just a happy accident, with no experience but with visions of an easy market with lots of disposable income just waiting to be raked in?
What he said, please

JohnW1988

We are a group of students who were matched with someone who is a passionate guitarist who believes there is a place in the market for a new pedal. We are working to validate his beliefs and see what direction we will recommend him to take. Thanks everyone for taking the survey, please pass it on, the more results we get the more reliable our data will be in order to bring a new pedal to the market!

MrMoose

I'm confused by the analog vs digital section. I would prefer all my pedals to be analog. Nowadays there are analog pedals with the ability to store digital MIDI switchable presets (ala Chase Bliss) and that I like very much. I am also a fan of pedals like the Strymon Bigsky and Timeline that offer digital reverb and delay respectively but have analog dry through. I am not a fan of ANY pedal that converts my entire signal to digital on the way in and back to analog on the way out.

JohnW1988

We're hoping that it will be very innovative! We are currently developing the pedal characteristics based off of our research. Thanks MrMoose! That information helps a lot. I wonder if others feel the same as you.

ispunk

Silver Supporting Member
Where else do you guys recommend posting this survey to get more results
Fantasyland. Is this really what you're being taught to do up at Lehigh? Maybe you guys should team up with some Lafayette students for some creative direction. Sorry to poo poo on your endeavor but this sounds like a marketing strategy in search of a product.

What exactly does one study in a product innovation class? How to make innovative products, or how to make ordinary products seem innovative? Your survey seems to lean toward the latter. There is always a place in the market for a new pedal, so long as it is truly new.

Able Grip

This whole approach sucks. Almost all good guitarists can tell you about a pedal dream they have. A one skew pedal company is a job maybe for one guy. But good luck!

Onemileguy

I seem to remember some guitarist who thought he could make a better mouse trap... I mean tubescreamer, while thinking he was the only one qualified to do so:JAM

Trending Topics