Pedal Isolation Question

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Mark Milliron, Apr 16, 2016.

1. Mark Milliron

Mark Milliron Supporting Member

Are there any specific pedals that are prone to noise when in a daisy chain? Compressor? Pitch/Whammy? Fuzz?

I have 11 pedals (some on order) and 5 isolated outlets on my T-Rex Chameleon.

1. SP Compressor
    2. EH Pitchfork
    3. Thorpy Muffroom Cloud
    4. Gain Changer
    5. Loop-Master Clean/Dirty
    6. Compact Direct Drive
    7. Cool-Cat Tremolo
    8. VP JR
    9. TC Nova Delay (will use 1 isolated port at 12 Volts)
    10. Stereo Wet
    11. TC Tuner

Power cables
    1. 5 pedal daisy chain
    2. 2 way splitter
    3. 3 way splitter
    4. Misc. single cables

Any suggestions on the best way to power these pedals? The Nova is the only one that has to be isolated due to it's 12 volt requirement.

Thanks in advance!

2. Black_Label

Black_Label Member

Make sure you don't daisy chain digital pedals (tuner, wet, nova, pitch fork) with your analog pedals to avoid noise.

3. Mark Milliron

Interesting. So daisy chaining digital and analog pedals is known to cause noise issues? If that's the only thing I need to avoid, that should be easy enough!

4. Black_Label

Black_Label Member

Yeah, isolate as many pedals as you can (always). But with your list, the only thing that stands out are the digital vs analog pedals. You don't really have any high mA pedals or stuff with pnp germanium transistors. So you're pretty well set.

5. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

Well in basic theory your pitchfork, wet and Nova should each occupy a single isolated tap, so maybe not as easy as you think.

6. Mark Milliron

Thanks for the advise! I will try putting the Pitchfork and Wet together on their own isolated outlet. The Nova is on it's own outlet already so that should work.

7. tubekingsley

tubekingsley Member

Maybe power the SP comp with an isolated outlet, you can run it at 18v, if you like. But, since you have the different cables at hand, you're best qualified to start testing for the quietest formula. Not chaining digital and analog pedals is good advice, and I would try the Thorpy with a 9v battery