Pedal Modders - Have you tried a RGB blinking LED?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by uberpict, May 14, 2008.

1. uberpict

uberpict Member

I got a new Rocktron wah pedal in today and had to adjust the switch height, it was taking a whole lot of weight to cut it on. The switch had the LED attached to it and in the process I damaged the LED. Most likely bent the leads where they entered the resin encapsulation and broke the connection to the diode itself. Not the best way to attach the LED but it was working when I got it.

It was a 3mm blue LED and I got to looking around for a replacement and found an automatic blinking RGB LED with similar specs to a blue LED and thought it would be cool to try. Have any of you guys tried this with success and is there anything I should watch out for? The following link is to the specs if you're interested, http://www.superbrightleds.com/specs/rgb-acc-spec.htm , I've ordered a couple to try out. If it works it should be VERY noticeable that the wah is on. :D

2. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change!

Ive heard that they produce a ton of noise because of all the power switching.

3. amz-fx

amz-fx Supporting Member

I've tried them.... They draw a lot of current, which shortens battery life, and as mentioned, the switching circuit can cause induced noise... I would suggest that you add a resistor and capacitor to the LED power line as shown on my page at:

http://www.muzique.com/lab/led.htm

regards, Jack

4. uberpict

uberpict Member

Thanks guys, I'll try the resistor and capacitor if I get too much noise. I plan on mounting the LED into the case and adding some wire onto the switch as a strain relief so it'll be easy to add the resistor and capacitor. If all else fails I can put a plain blue LED back in. :cool:

5. uberpict

uberpict Member

Update, the blinking LED worked without adding any extra noise. The cheap power supply I'm using adds alot of noise but it's fine with a battery. I did have to add a 270 ohm resistor to get the current right but so far so good. Thanks again for your help!

6. Digitalman

Digitalman Member

I re housed my EH Holy Grail and accidentally picked up a blinking LED from Radio Shack. I thought it was broken at first, until I looked again at the LED packaging.

Yep - it blinks, sounds fine. And it confuses pedal geeks.