Pedal Noise/Buzzing Problem

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by sacakl, Feb 17, 2012.

1. sacakl

sacakl Silver Supporting Member

Wondering if I could please get some help with an intermittent buzzing problem I’m having with pedals on my board. I’m running an LP DC Special via bullet coily cable into a Turbo Tuner -> Analogman Beano Boost -> Klon Klone -> BYOC Leeds Fuzz via Lavacable Ultramafic to Reeves Custom 50. All are powered by a one-spot (which could be part of the problem) except the Beano Boost , which only runs on battery. The connectors I’m using are from the solderless Core X2 DYI cable kit.

A loud buzz seems to happen when I jostle the pedals with my foot and goes away when I jostle them again. An example is when I step on the Leeds Fuzz, I get a loud annoying buzz. Thought it might be a short in the pedal since the noise goes away when gently giving it a little nudge with my foot on the enclosure. Then I was noticing the same was happening with my other pedals one-at-a time, even the Beano Boost that’s only running off a battery. I’ve tried taking pedals out of the chain and running things through a different amp with the same results.

Before I run out and spend a lot of money on various things, to narrow it down:

• Could it be a problem with the Core X2 cable kit I’m using? I also notice that when I tap the connectors, I hear the tapping very audible in the amp. Not sure if this is normal either?

• A grounding issue or bad connection with one pedal that’s impacting all the others? All are true bypass but is this possible?

• The One-Spot power supply being the source of the problem and needing to upgrade to Pedal Power?

Thanks for everyone’s help.

2. chervokas

chervokas Member

If it changes when you jostle it, it sounds like a bad ground connection or broken solder joint or something of that nature in either one of the pedals or one of the cables. My first guess would be cables.

However given that you're daisy chaining with a switch mode power supply neither ground loops nor noise from the supply are out of the question. Start by checking all the cables for good solid ground connections, and by running everything on batteries to ensure they have the cleanest, most isolated DC possible. Then you'll know if its the cables or the power supply before you go looking into each of the pedals.

3. sacakl

sacakl Silver Supporting Member

Thanks chervokas. Traced it to a bad ground in the Byoc. The input jack was touching the pot so I spun it around so that it wasn't touching. Tightened the jacks and footswitch down. Actually took out the battery since it was pretty cramped in there. Doesn't look like the greatest build but it works (i did one that was much neater but only the bypass works so far and i've yet to troubleshoot it). Everything is working fine now off one spot. Surprised that it would impact other pedals in the same way though. I might want to recable at some point but glad it's not a crisis.