Pedal NOOB - which effect is this?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Wiz-ski, Apr 15, 2008.

1. Wiz-ski

Wiz-ski Member

Sitting in traffic this morning listening to Abbey Road, one of my favorite drive into work CDs...believe it or not, if I start it when pulling out of my driveway, I'm usually listening to The End when pulling into the parking spot.

ANYWAY, I'm listening to You Never Give Me Your Money, and at about 1:30 - around the "oh that magic feeling" line, there's this twangy guitar in the background. I've been playing since I was in 10th grade, but never been much of an effects guy...Can somebody tell me what effect is on this? it definitely sounds like it could be a chorus or a leslie speaker effect. Sounds like it's also used on the guitar in the opening of Sun King.

Sorry for the noobish question, but that's what sites like this are great for!

Wiz

2. Ocean

Ocean Member

Post the clip when you get a chance...

And welcome to TGP!

3. Deville2Rocket

Deville2Rocket Member

Pretty sure that's George through a Fender Vibratone (Fender's Leslie for guitar players).
    The Line6 Roto Machine can pretty much nail that sound for $120. Bought mine a couple weeks ago and never looked back.

4. screamingduck

screamingduck Member

The Option 5 Destination Rotation Single also nails the Fender Vibratone sound in a nice small footprint enclosure. Joe Walsh is seen holding one in Guitar Player ads recently.

5. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Gold Supporting Member

I liked the option five on the fast settings, but on the slow settings it just sounded like a phase shifter/tremolo combined. The H&K Rotoshere is more authentic on the slow setting imho.

6. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Gold Supporting Member

I'll have to run and find my copy of The Beatles Recording Sessions but my guess is either a leslie speaker or tape flanging.

7. trisonic

trisonic Member

That's probably "Ken's Flanger" c/w Fairchild Limiter.
    Did I tell you I shared a flat in Abbey Road with Ken Townsend, once.....?

Best, Pete.

8. charmboy

charmboy Member

You can approximate this effect pretty well with any true-pitch vibrato. I use it quite a bit in one of my bands where the main songwriter goes for alot of those types of feels. I used to use an Electro-Harmonix Wiggler (wurl setting) and now use the SIB Mr. Vibromatic.

9. Deville2Rocket

Deville2Rocket Member

I love what a good leslie sim can add to the sound when playing those familiar songs.