1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Pedal on Bad Co`s r&r Fantasy

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by 59model, Oct 14, 2006.

1. 59model

59model Member

Anyone know what type of overdrive/octave type was used in the intro and a few fills on this tune?

2. dosmun

dosmun Member

Doesn't sound like any FX to me. Sounds like thats just the player.

3. drspencer

drspencer Member

Paul Rogers said that this track was done with some sort of multi effects processor, with all the effects engaged at once.

4. pi22seven

pi22seven Member

I remember reading a Guitar Player with Mick Ralphs at the time and he said it was a EH Guitar Synth.

5. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Think it was the then new/hip ARP Avator guitar synth - Paul Rodgers played the part, not Ralphs. They used EH things live to cop it... I'll dig up the old Guitar Player interview.

6. 59model

59model Member

Thanks. RWE333, if it happens to say what was used live I`d appreaciate it. Any other pedals like the Blue Box get that sound?

7. Bob Sweet

Bob Sweet Member

On the studio record that was a GR-300 Roland Guitar synth and live they used the EH Micro Synth. I actually got to ask Mick Ralphs that back in the early 80's.

8. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

Bob wasn't it the GR-500 back then-the big console looking thing mounted on a keyboard stand with a guitar controller that resembled a sunburst Les Paul. I don't think the floorbox sized GR-300 came out until the early 80's as used by Andy Summers, Adrian Belew and Neil Schon.

9. Bob Sweet

Bob Sweet Member

Oops! Right you are. The same model used by Mike Rutherford on the "Then There Were Three" tour with Genesis. I could have swore he said GR-300 though. But Desolation Angels didn't come out until 79, I don't think the 300 was available by then.

10. 59model

59model Member

Ant ideas on a new pedal that will come close?

11. Bob Sweet

Bob Sweet Member

I used to use the EH Micro Synth to do that song. I think I also had a MuTron Phaser in there a too. But that might sound better with a little chorus or flanger in there with the Micro Synth.

12. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

How about a new custom design from Bob that encompasses that tone-I would want one of those. I am also a big Mick Ralphs fan generally and love his tones throughout Bad Co.'s career.

13. Tuberattler

Tuberattler Member

Wow!! Mick is my favorite R&R player I've followed his tone from Mott the Hoople days.

14. TopJimmy5150

TopJimmy5150 Member

It's not a popular thing to say these days, but I loved Mick Ralph's tone on "Dangerous Age". The older stuff just doesn't impress me.