Pedal or Amp Distortion?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by cray2008, Apr 22, 2008.

1. cray2008

cray2008 Member

Love fuzz and the ability to have a variety of tones-but a cranked amp is tough to beat. Why do you use what you use?

2. brianf

brianf Member

I have 50 or more Distortion / Od's but agree with you 100%.

I'll take my Mark 4 or Tonecat cranked anyday!!!!! Just sound sooooo much better.

brianf

3. 59Vampire

59Vampire Silver Supporting Member

everytime i buy an od box i sell it. yet i keep buyiung them! AMP BABY!!! fuzz however is a different story! I have a ron sound modifed muff for 81 specs and a throbak stone bender. mmm mmm good!

4. cray2008

cray2008 Member

if you're the 'color' guy in the band, pedals do the trick-but dirty rhythms i like amps. I also can't use delays pedals with distorted amps...and I hate the effects loop.

5. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

6. djinn1973

djinn1973 Member

I really love the (low watt/low volume) clean sound of my amp and occasionally use a hand full of stomp boxes to dirty it up.

7. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

I won't buy "overdrives" any more. I always sell them.
    I like clean boosts, rangemaster boosts, fuzzes and distortions all for different reasons.

I really like that often maligned "modern" invention, the Master Volume.

Small amps crank up nicely, too.

I love and use different sounds, but "Stevierayvaughn" has never been one of them.

8. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

Surfin at Merewether Point, NSW Australia
    I have a Mesa 5:50 which is a super versatile amp and provides awesome tube distortion up to the heavy rock level. I add in an MXR EQ pedal to scoop mids and it'll do metal too. But this is 6L6 Mesa style american flavoured distortion. Great but not suitable for everything.

The only thing my amp won't do is cranked Marshall British flavoured distortion. So to give JCM900, JCM800 & Plexi tones I use a Crunchbox into the Mesa's clean channel. Add in the EQ pedal and I've got almost all distortion flavours plus clean boost covered with 1 amp and 2 pedals :)

If you get 1 good versatile tube amp you don't need multiple pedals and you'll have better tone.
    The money you save on unnecessary pedals would be much better off being spent on a better amp.
    For people with boxes of pedals I suggest you sell 90% of em and buy a more versatile amp.

9. B_of_H

B_of_H Member

I prefer my amp over my pedals but I rarely play gigs when I can play my amp loud enough.

10. bluntage

bluntage Member

Amp.

I have tried various overdrive/distortion/fuzz pedals but bonded with none... amp overdrive is the clear winner in my mind.

11. tapeup

tapeup Butterscotch Supt. Member Gold Supporting Member

All of you posters that love your amp overdrive/dist more than a pedal(s), what amp(s) are you using? Most of my amps are cleanish-based, or at least, I can't crank at venues loud enough to get my amp's good natural od tone.

12. Julia343

Julia343 Member

I get to play on a cranked Soldano SLO100 w/ a 412 w/ Sheffield speakers once a week. My dirt peds are great, but they just don't measure up.

13. paraedolia

paraedolia Member

I like real honest amp distortion, but if you want to jump between clean (really clean, not just back off the volume pot a bit) and dirty, you need to use a pedal for OD. I guess there's always multi-channel amps and all, or using a 2-amp setup with an A/B box, but I set the single channel amp to play clean, push it into OD with a boost pedal, and kick that with a fuzz or distortion box if needbe. Flexible.

14. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

both!

i like my amps at edge of breakup, but on the slightly cleaner side. most overdrive pedals take to this setting better, where you not only get a nice overdriven clipping, but the extra bit of grit from the amp's preamp tubes gives you a nice juicy give to your pedal overdrive.

fuzzes on the other hand take to more grit coming from the amp. the more on the amp, the lower the gain on the fuzz, the better the sound will be, IME. again, the juicy clip from the amp gives the rather woolly fuzz a nice bed of tube sweetness to rest upon.

15. improv4

improv4 Member

Ideally, the near breaking up amp pushed with the overdrive, fuzz or distortion. It's really the situation and what kind of volume is allowed.

16. JZG

JZG Member

I'll always take the overdrive from an amp over a pedal. I like to use pedals to add different textures or feels. I think the ideal situation is to have an amp that's overdriving or distorting, and topping it with a low gain OD pedal. I've always found that cascading a couple low gain sources works better than one cranked OD source.

17. slacker

slacker Senior Member

Overdrive into non master volume tube amp on 6 or more-works for me.

18. Blind Rat

Blind Rat Member

I love a good valve amp drive,but I need a few different sounds so I have to use pedals most of the time.

19. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

I have a DRRI (one channel 22 watt tube amp) and a peavey classic 30 (2 channel, clean and dirt, 30 watt tube amp) that I primarily play through...at the same time...

so to get dirt from BOTH of them at the same time at home volumes, pedals are the way to go...and Ive played them both loud enough to get natural break yo and the DRRI break up SUCKS, imho fenders are meant to be played clean...

with the dirt pedals I have I can get excellent overdrive and distortion at any volume...plus even more importantly I can get many many different tones...not just a "cranked marshall" or "cranked fender"

here is a list of the dirt on my pedal board
    Barber Trifecta (fuzz)
    barber LTD
    Barber Direct Drive
    boss sd-1
    boss od-3
    boss blues driver
    boss mt-2
    marshall guvnor
    marshall jackhammer
    visual sounds jeckyll and hyde
    mi audio crunch box
    proco rat
    line 6 uber metal

this is a ridiculous amount of dirt, but for home use it works...I run them through line selectors to take them out of the chain when not needed...

if I was to gig I would use
    barber trifecta
    barber ltd
    barber direct drive
    mi audio crunch box
    proco rat

20. wc8485

wc8485 Member

MV Amp, all day - every day, for gigs and rehearsals.
    #1 Amp - Splawn QR with 3 modes, the modes go from a plexi-type OD to a JCM 800 voiced OD and finally a Hot-Rodded JCM 800.

Also available are a Rivera Knucklehead 55, and Mesa DR.
    The Rivera needs something in front of it sometimes, so I keep an eq and a boost pedal around for it. I've not been using it much lately though.

For home use/bedroom volume.
    A Boss BR-1600 - This is a great practice amp/tool. I can dial in "BIG" sounds at any volume, with the ability to add/edit drum tracks, bass, and loop phrases.