Pedal or signal path problem.

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by R3deemed, Sep 15, 2005.

1. R3deemed

R3deemed Member

Here's my signal path:

Guitars
    |
    Samson Concert IV wireless
    |
    Morley Bad Horsie 2 wah
    |
    Boss CS-3 compressor
    |
    Voodoo Labs Preamp
    |
    Morley Little Alligator volume pedal
    |
    Boss DD-3 digital delay
    |
    Electro-Harmonix Holy Grail reverb
    |
    MXR Smart Gate noise gate
    |
    Marshall SV-1 Supervibe chorus
    | | (SV-1 left & right outputs)
    Mesa/Boogie 20/20
    | | (20/20 left & right inputs)
    Avatar 2x12 speaker cabinet (stereo)

Here's my problem:

I love the Marshall chorus (it's exactly what I want in a chorus pedal). But since I've introduced it to my signal path (putting it last to take advantage of the stereo outs in place of a y-cable) I've encountered a feedback-like squeal in certain circumstances, either when volume gets beyond a certain point -- say 3 or 4 -- or if the gain gets a little higher. So, I backed off both a bit, but the sound man wants me to run a bit higher volume. It's set now just below where I'll get the whine, but now I can't use the wah pedal because it sets off the whine. It boosts the signal just enough to get that noise going. I had a distortion pedal after the compressor. It made the thing scream like there was no tomorrow.

Oh yeah, I'm powering the pedals with 2 Visual Sound 1-spots, but I've tried the Marshall with a battery to see if that helped. It didn't.

I hope I've described it adequately. If not, please let me know.

What do you think?

Also, general signal path suggestions will be appreciated.

2. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

I think you need to look for a different chorus that sounds the way you want but doesn't squeal.

Sorry, perhaps not the most helpful suggestion (and I'm sure you've thought of it) but if the feedback didn't happen without it, I think the problem must be there, and I can't see anything in your signal path that would be a 'hidden' problem only brought out by the chorus.

I suspect the Marshall may not be designed to run at the higher signal level you're getting after the preamp, and/or possibly you're getting some interaction with its clock frequency (called 'aliasing').

3. R3deemed

R3deemed Member

Thank you. I'm afraid you might be right. I'm not sure where else to find that chorus sound, but I'm hoping there might be a practical suggestion or two out there for my current set up.

P.S. Mods, it occured to me that this might be better suited in Effects, Pedals, & Things or even Amps & Cabs as opposed to where I put it. Freel free to move it.

4. R3deemed

R3deemed Member

Bump/update.

<sigh> I pulled the Marshall chorus and replaced it with my modded CE-2. The squeal is still there, but not as prominant. There must be something else wrong in the signal path somewhere...

The cables are all new Voodoo Amp cables. I think I'll next try temporarily replacing the 1-spots with batt'ries.

5. R3deemed

R3deemed Member

Anyone?

If I put all the FX before the preamp, how much signal would I lose? Would I need a buffer? Or maybe a looper?