Pedal Order: Anyone Run Compressor After Phaser or Vibe?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by theHoss, Dec 19, 2005.

1. theHoss

theHoss Member

I am guessing it would even the effect out and defeat the purpose of it? I am a guy that likes to run compression after the OD, but still wants to keep the vibe in front. I run a tone press with everything @ 2oclock? I have a Red Witch Moon Phaser, and looking at gettting a MoFaux vibe?
    Just crious.

Thanks.

2. NyteOwl

NyteOwl Member

Taken from the Keeley Compressor instructions:

"Do not place the compressor at the end of your chain or after effects such as delay and echo; it will affect the performance in a negative way."

3. j_hotch

j_hotch Member

I run my compressor after my wah and 'vibe but before my OD, chorus and delay. For me, it works great. It smooths out the peak low/high frequencies of the wah and 'vibe and gives me a stronger signal.

Just my $0.02 US.

4. msp

msp Member

the tone press is a preaty quiet pedal if you have all your cables and power supplies dialed in

i still wouldn't compress your delay reverb or chorus with it, but maybe you could get away with phase and vibe running to it (depending on which ones and how they are set up)

an alternative would be to run the tone press before your modulation effects and get a looper pedal with a volume pot for your modulation pedals to dial in the peaks (you could taylor the modulation effects to sound thicker with a compressor before them, without the peaks)

http://www.loooper.com/

5. theHoss

theHoss Member

Thanks for your replies, I just rewired my board and tried putting the RW after the compressor. I can't try it becuase I am missing a wire, but I think it should be pretty cool.

Thanks again!

6. capnbringdown

capnbringdown Member

I never put a comp after a delay or reverb, so I don't know what happens when you do that. I also should admit that compression is not my favorite effect. I had it for a little while and did not like the affect it had on my tone. However, when I did use it, the main thing I did with it was run it after my phaser (and then when I got it my vibe. If you use the compressor for sustain and the vibe for a swirly modulation sound, you probably won't like what happens. However, when using these two effects in conjunction, you can get a really nice texture. I remember reading somewhere that David Gilmour used to do this. I also used to nail the solo from Aqualung using this trick.

7. Tone_Gecko

Tone_Gecko Member

I use an Ibanez UE-405 rack unit in the effects loop of my classic 50. It has a comp, but I have it set to go in front of the other effects in the unit. The only thing i have out front of the map is a TS9DX, and a wah pedal.

8. theHoss

theHoss Member

Great info. My chain is WAH > OD > COMP (TonePress) > Red Witch Moon Phaser > Chorus > Delay > Boost

What won't I like if I use the comp for sustain, and occasionaly add the RW for swirl? I will have to wait on a cable to try it.....but if you can describe it more that would be great.

Thanks again for the post.

9. msp

msp Member

another od after the compressor would be cool too

or a signal loop pedal that could reverse the order of your od and compression on the fly

10. theHoss

theHoss Member

Hmm, signal loop pedal, that is new to me......can you point me to one?

11. Priestunes

Priestunes Member

+1 for this config. Turn the comp. on/off for flavor. ON focuses the vibe/phaser/wah stuff; OFF widens it... at least on my board. On changes the tone of my Nova Wah, too. Tap dancing is a blast!

12. khudson

khudson Member

Here is my current line up: Tuner>wah>Vibe>java boost>BD2>Hellbilly>Fuzzhead>TS9>Comp>Delay - amp. I always liked the comp after od, but may experiment with it in front of od's for a change to see what I am missing.

Note: Though my vibe is before the comp, I have never used them together.

13. capnbringdown

capnbringdown Member

What I meant by that is that the vibe > comp combination takes the traditional sound of the vibe (for the most part) out of the equation and replaces it with a new texture. Imagine the vibe being blue and the comp being yellow. You mix them together like that and get green not bluish-yellow. Of course, y ou have the added ability to turn pedals on and off. With the comp > vibe combination (IMO atleast), to go back to the colo ranalogy, you're not getting green, not that having those two colors is a bad thing. You'll really have to try it out for yourself and see if you like it.

14. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

I think vibe after comp sounds soooo much better but the best way to see is switch them around. :)

15. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I want to put my CompROSSor (AnalogMan) after a Red Witch Deluxe Moon phaser into an EMMA Discumbobulator (w/ Loooper switch to swap dry/wet outputs), after my wah. This is just for the "clean" signal chain, which goes through an E-H POG and Walco Chord & Note Sustainer, for organ simulation (through the Leslie cabinet).

16. neve1073

neve1073 Member

I've always routed my compressor right after the tuner and before everything else.

17. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

http://www.woboge.com

The "Router Looper" if you only need one line running at a time. I'm having them build me a box that is similar but lets both lines run constantly and switches the FX loop from one line to another.

18. msp

msp Member