pedal order help

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by sandman, Aug 14, 2005.

1. sandman

sandman Member

I've just started creating my pedalboard after 4 years of not playing at all.....so I'm a beginner stopmboxwise.

mu pedals are

Boss TU-2,DD-3,CS-3,OD-2,CE-3(sometimes, borrowed) and Crybaby Classic w/fasel

When i put the Crybaby before the OD-2 everything sounds bad and mushy.No matter

if pedals are on or off.With Crybaby put after the OD everything sounds good but i get a

noticable volume jump when turning on the wah.

I tried to fix this with CS-3 put after the wah.This way wah sounds a bit QUIETER when turned on.Also,

i lose some amount of gain and generally disappear in the mix.

what's the problem? is it Boss OD-2 buffer? Crybaby's "true bypass"(or however they call it)?

Solutions?

like i mentioned i just started creating my pedalboard and I'm saving money for some decent OD,Dist,Fuzz boxes.

I'm currently considering Visual Sound J&H.Will this problems disappear if i replace OD-2 with J&H?

2. sandman

sandman Member

I play a 1979 strat and a Squier P90 tele custom through
    UL Twin with JBLs

3. stratofied

stratofied Member

Not sure what's going on with your set up but I usually place a wah pedal first or close to.

4. sandman

sandman Member

yeah, I know.

but I HAVE TO put the OD before the wah unless I want everything to sound really bad overall, blurry.

I put mu tuner first,then OD,WAH,COMP,CHORUS,DELAY

5. somedude

somedude Member

I'd go Comp, wah, OD, chorus, delay myself.

I can't help you on your wah situation though, but I can tell you that it's not true bypass....it's buffered. The newer Dunlop buffers don't suck as bad as the old ones, but they're still not great.

6. blueprint

blueprint Member

For my own part, I would put the comp first.
    Then, either OD or wah (try both order), then chorus and finally delay.
    See if the tuner doesn't f**k up your signal...Remember: nothing in your chain is true bypass, and moreover one more pedal means two connecting cables (which can also eat a part of tone) more...
    :cool:

7. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

Generally Boss effects are nice beginner pedals, I used them.
    Your dunlop? might not have a buffer inside. Honestly, if you prefer OD pedals and don't care about NOT using a distortion box, GET a TEESE wah, ANY OF THEM! I would say to buy a RMC3 wah, like 14 wahs in one, ALL very different sounding. Beautiful sounds. It will work just fine with your OD2. It is has 2 buffers inside (I talked to Teese several times) so your original guitar volume is intact. Just plug your OD2 after the wah.

peace love and wah

8. Shakermaker

Shakermaker Member

Personally I'd go:

Tuner => Wah => Comp. => OD => Delay => Chorus

I find the comp. evens out the wah dynamics a bit. Some people prefer OD before comp., just a different sound (think Phish). I like Chorus after my delay so the delays get effected (sounds cool on chord stabs).

Just my two cents...

Mike.

9. ABKB

ABKB Member

When I started building my pedalboard, the very first thing I did was get GOOD cords. I like George L's (especially for pedalboards) but there are others out there, so your choice of cords might be part of the problem. Just a guess there I am not sure. Second thing I did was start with a good clean tone just guitar>amp. Then added one pedal at a time. If a pedal mucked up the signal too badly, it got tossed. As far as order goes, there are no rules really. I like Tuner => Wah => Comp. => OD => Chorus => Delay, but thats just me. I agree with Shakermaker that a good comp will keep the wah in line a bit.

For your particular problem, I found I hated the sound of a wah after the OD, too many volume headaches as you are finding out. But if it sounds mushy to you going before the od, then you might want to think about adding a EQ in line to even things out.

Just my 2 cents. Like I say, there are no rules when it comes to this stuff.

10. sandman

sandman Member

I tried everything you suggested and it comes to this:

OD has to be put before WAH.

When I put the WAH before the OD(no matter where i place other pedals) everything works fine until I turn the OD on.

So:

crybaby off +OD off = ok
    crybaby on +OD off = ok - nice clean wah sound
    crybaby on/off+OD2 on = bad sounding, low volume, untweakable OD.even if i max the OD level nothing really changes.

and yes, tuner does alter the sound a bit but that's another issue I can live with

thanks for your Teese suggestion but even if I could afford it
    there is no way to order it where I live(Serbia,Europe).

yes, I use cheap cables but I guess they make mi rig overall worse sounding and they've nothing to do with my wah-od problem

What's the problem? Solutions?

Crbaby mod? (guess this operation is more complex than just installing a new switch)

new OD?

I'm seriously considering VS J&H I won't be able to try before I buy

thanks a lot for your responses

11. blueprint

blueprint Member

I live in France, Europe and I bought my RMC from Analogman, USA. Shipped at my door within a week.
    You can also contact Mr Teese (the builder): he is a nice guy, sells direct too, and will give you good advices.
    ;)

12. sandman

sandman Member

thank you Blueprint,

but I've just received an email from Analog Man - he can't ship here
    cause my country is not connected to paypal.

I'll see what I can do with what I've got.

13. el34power

el34power Member

YUP, and mix all this up in a loooper with a tuner out.

14. sandman

sandman Member

Boss Od-2 caused all my troubles.

Replacing it with Visual Sound J&H made everything work fine.

Boss just can't stand being after either Crybaby Classic or J&H.

Plus, a friend who bought J&H for me and brought it from Germany

gave me this vintage Morley Power Wah as a gift.

I use it as a fuzz-booster!

It' doesn't even color the sound when bypassed...

thanks