pedal order question, buffer related!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jjhaller, Dec 25, 2009.

1. jjhaller

jjhaller Supporting Member

Here is a question for you all...
    I run my pedal board in either one of two ways. First being using my non gain effects in the effects loop of my Budda SD-30.

The chain goes like this;
    Budda wah-NKT Sunface-Keeley Comp-Analogman Silver TS-9-OCD-Timmy-TU2 into the amp.

Loop; Menatone Pleasure Trem-Deja Vibe-TC SCF-Boss DM3-Boss DD5

When not using an amp with an effects loop I simply add the non gain effects after the TU2 then into the amps input.

So, the $64,000 questions. Am I running into any buffer related issues? Should I look into any bypass switchers?

Questions, comments, concerns? Your call is important to me, please post your reply and an agent will be with you shortly.

2. jjhaller

Any of these pedals have a especially bad buffer?

3. jjhaller

4. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

I am looking for effects order suggestions as well. Here is my thread. http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=647417

As for the buffers, I like to have one early in the chain and then late in the chain before the amp. I find that buffers in the effects loop are not as big of deal. For example I didn't like the buffer of my Line6 Verbzilla before the amp at the end of the chain, but it was not bad in the loop.

I would put your TU2 after the NKT sunface. That way with no pedals on you have a buffer to drive the signal through the rest of the effects. I am not a big fan of the TU2 buffer, but just having it in your chain as a buffer you should be fine. Your other pedals before the amp are True bypass. The ideal situation is to mix both, with a few buffers thrown in.

I am surprised you have your univibe in the loop, have you tried it out front?

5. terminator

terminator Member

If you think you have problems with buffer... just get the TU-2 earlier in the chain...
    NKT Sunface-TU2 - Budda wah-Keeley Comp-Analogman Silver TS-9-OCD-Timmy
    Don't worry about the pedals on the loop.... but if you place them in the front... just place them after the Timmy (the Boss delays should take care of the buffered signal until the amp).
    Good Luck ;)

6. jjhaller

Thanks for the advice! I've tried the Deja in front of non fx loop amps. I may move it around to see how it sounds. What about the buffer in the TS-9? I have that pretty early in the chain.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2009
  7. blackba

I assumed since the TS-9 was modded, that it also had the TB mod. Its fine where it is, I would just put the Tuner right after the sunface still.

8. jjhaller

No true bypass mod on the TS. I'll move the tuner to see if it helps. When you plug straight in, everything is really bold and alive. Through the pedals, it kind of dulls the straight clean sound out.

Thanks for all the killer advice!

9. blackba

Try removing the just the TS, then try removing the TU-2. See if the sound changes.

10. Captain Zero

Captain Zero Member

I'd start with adding one pedal at a time and see how it goes.

Even if they were all true bypass, that many pedals is going to alter your tone a bit.

Maybe look into a quality buffer and add it to the end of your effects chain. The buffer will get your signal back up to par.

11. jjhaller

I moved the tuner to after the NKT, and the punch is back...crazy how moving a pedal just a couple spaces can make a big difference!

One more Q for y'all. I usually run a Zvex SHO at the very end, sitting on top of my amp, just to add the little sparkle that it does. Should I be thinking of moving it somewhere else?

12. calenk

calenk Member

well your probably gonna want to keep the sunface and wah right at the start before any buffers they dont like to be buffered. ive actually noticed the ocd reacts a tad different when buffered aswell

13. jjhaller

Thanks, i have the wah and the fuzz before the first buffer (tuner), I'm planning on getting the foxrox kit for the wah as soon as i get around to ordering it.

I actually just replaced the OCD with a Catalinbread DLS.

14. juujuuj

juujuuj Member

can you explain more about the verbzilla, i have one & it is really noisy + i run it now in 12V but it doesnt seem to change the sound compared to 9V its the only pedal on my board that im not satisfied: do i have to place buffered pedals before and/or after to have better sound or less noise? thanks

15. blackba

My issue with the verbzilla was not with the noise, but with the buffer. Measuring from tip to shield in my pedal chain I got 50kohms with it in the circuit and 100kohms with it out of the circuit. The higher impedance is in general better. I found that the verbzilla seemed to suck tone out in front of my vintage amps, but had no issue in the loop of my more modern amps. I still didn't like having to use its own adapter and the excessive weight so I sold it for a Digitech Hardwire RV-7.

I did run my Verbzilla with the trail switch off, you might try that first. If you have too many buffers in the chain, the Verbzilla might be an issue for you.