Pedal order question

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by otherone, Jan 16, 2006.

1. otherone

otherone Supporting Member

I know it's a personal taste thing, but is it generally better (meaning overall better and more versatile tone) to put a boost/OD before a distortion/fuzz, or the other way around? thanks

2. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Armchair Rocket Scientist Graffiti Existentialist Gold Supporting Member

Preamp-based effects often sound best if placed in order of the amount of gain they introduce into your signal chain. Your mileage may vary...

clean boost -> overdrive -> distortion -> fuzz

3. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

Depending on the boost. You just have to try it out and see what you like best.
    My ZIM with the BB Card worked best up front.
    My twin60 works best last in line.

4. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

i don't think that's true at all ... most fuzzes like to be set first ... and as far as i know, a lot of people here go from higher gain to lower gain as the chain goes on.

i may be wrong, in the end, there's no right answer

5. erksin

erksin Member

Everyone has their preferences, but I do the complete opposite -

Fuzz -> Distortion/Medium Gain OD -> Low Gain OD/Boost

The #1 criteria for me is having the dirt pedal with the greatest EQ flexibilty go last in line so it can help shape the previous boxes when I stack them. And I've never liked the sound of a fuzz anywhere but first in line after the Wah...

6. dave s

dave s Member

You'll feel alot better about your rig if you take everything else of the chain and do the 'shell game' with the OD, Dist and boost pedals.

There are no hard/fast rules about which has to go where. They all interact differently together depending on the individual pedals you choose to mix and match.

That said, mine work best this way: guitar >>> boost >>> OD >>> dist >>> amp.

Have fun experimenting!

dave

7. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I think everyone here that offered an explanation (even though they contradicted each other) made excellent valid points.

There are different things you can focus on (i.e. ability to control the gain with volume pot, or EQ shaping, or...all that was mentioned here so far).

I haven't done so much stacking, but one of my alltime favorite pedals is the Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde (Jekyll is distortion, Hyde is OD...similar but MUCH better to a TS), and they are in one pedal. The pedal maker, presumably after testing, playing with, and thinking a lot about it, decided to put the Distortion first, then the OD.

BUT...though I love this pedal, my experience and many folk that reviewed it on HC also thought this, is that it is VERY touchy and you have to learn it to set it right.

You can set both, alone.., to their optimum. Use one OR the other, but if you stomp them both on, sometimes the result isn't as cool. So I tend to set the OD (which is my favorite of the two for most things, though I have real uses for the other as well) so it is just perfect for me, THEN set the Distortion turning it on WITH the OD on. Lastly, I then listen to how the dsitortion sounds by itself. I may sometimes have to go back, turn on OD and Dist, try again, then hear the Dist alone again.

But once you do this a few times, it gets easier. Another thing, for volume jumps, I do what I described above, but be aware, at lower amp volumes it is harder to perceive volume jumps and how high they are. When you set it at low volumes, and it seems close to the striaght signal, and then turn the amp way up you sometimes notice a much bigger JUMP in volume.

But it is fun to play with them. Also, need to learn to adjust them with your band playing, or in the mix on recordings. Sounds that sound awesome alone, often get eaten up in the mix.

8. otherone

otherone Supporting Member

thanks for all the help!

9. Uncle Fester

Uncle Fester Member

I always run my clean boost after my OD. Currently I'm using a TC Jaurnig Gristle KIng, and as I hold an endorsement with Tim, I had him install a switch which allows me switch the clean boost to go either in front of the OD or after it. It always sounds better to my ears when the Clean Boost is situated after the OD. I think Tim is putting this switch in all the Gristle Kings now. It's a great option and saves rewiring the pedal board everytime you wanna experiment.

10. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

For $99, WOBO can make a looper box that can change the order of your effects. I want my volume pedal and a future Boss HR-2 to be able to "transport" from the very front of the chain to immediately after my Loop Station, so I'm going to have one made.