pedal order suggestions needed

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jon71203, Jan 25, 2008.

1. jon71203

jon71203 Supporting Member

hey all,
    self-explanatory. looking for some suggestions as to pedal order. i recently picked up a MoogerFooger Freqbox....and i really don't know where to put it....so here it goes:

Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
    Boss CS-3 (compression/sustain)
    Boss NS-2 (noise suppressor)
    Fulltone OCD
    Fulltone Fat Boost
    Electro-Harmonix Holy Grail
    Line 6 DL-4
    MoogerFooger MF-107 FreqBox
    Ernie Ball Volume Pedal Junior
    Boss TU-2 (tuner)
    Boss RC-2 (looping pedal)

any help would be greatly appreciated. feel free to comment on order or the fact that its even on the board.....thanks in advance.

2. jon71203

and for what its worth:

i'm playing mainly an American Standard Strat...and a Vox AC30BM on the amp end........

3. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

First things first; you should'nt have the compressor before the NS2 as the additional noise generated by it can falsely open the gate, the same goes for the wah!!!
    I don't know if you were just listing FX or if that's the order u have them in at the moment though!!

4. jon71203

i didn't list them as i have them.....i'm at work and was doing good to just remember all the pedals.....

5. jon71203

if these were your pedals how would you order them?

6. jon71203

bump......

any advice? i could really use it...

7. andrewnielson

andrewnielson Member

i would do....
    volume-wah-compressor-od's-delay-reverb-amp

some people prefer the compressor after the od's but i don't.

8. jon71203

would the moog fall into the od category?

9. Tbone135

Tbone135 Member

Mine is similar to yours with a lot of these pedals, so here's what I'd do. Mix around the OCD, Fat boost and the Freqbox for preference and pick a solo booster. I assume that's what the fat boost is for. The NS-2 will help you the most at the very end. Delays and reverbs sound really good after the volume pedal.

Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
    Boss CS-3 (compression/sustain)
    Fulltone OCD
    Fulltone Fat Boost
    MoogerFooger MF-107 FreqBox

Line 6 DL-4
    Electro-Harmonix Holy Grail
    Boss TU-2 (tuner)
    Boss RC-2 (looping pedal)

Boss NS-2 (noise suppressor)

10. electron transl

electron transl Member

check robert keeley's site for order on effects. i like his recommendations.

11. jon71203

thanks guys...keep 'em coming...i'm open to anything at this point

12. jon71203

one other thing....the boss NS-2 has as send and return to create a loop....should i use this at all?

13. mike@nortoncable.com

mike@nortoncable.com Member

Aside preference its generally good practice to run

gain into modulation *except wah which is preference*

so wah , od,fuzz,distortion etc, into flangers,chorus, into delays.

you wouldnt want to run Delay into distortion otherwise you'll distort the delay sounds or run chorus into fuzz.

As for your noise suppressor - Depending on how noisy you guitar / rig is you can put it at either end. I personally dont like gates - you should be able to get any amount of pedals quiet with proper cable, proper grounding and clean power. I have 19 pedals on my board at the moment all powered with dc bricks into a furman, the amps go into the furman, all my cable is triple conductor = no noise even with a dimmer and halogens in the room :)

I'd get it all wired and see how it performs before adding the noise suppressor :)

14. pgissi

pgissi Member

I dont like Noise Suppresion but if you must it should be post OD's since thats where most noise potential is

I would also be planning to use some True Bypass Loops on anything that is a buffering pedal when bypassed, especially the Buffer in the CS-3, the passive Earnie Ball and (as far as I know) the tone sucking Dunlop wah.

I think the Fulltone stuff is True Bypass so no worries there but whatever is not post Fulltone, would also be on my True Bypass list

I placed the Mooger post wavefrom altering boxes thinking it may do some weird things with some Comp, Vol, Wah & OD whether single or stacked feeding it

Lastly delay, reverb followed by the looper so you can loop the whole shootin works for some way out grooves daddy-o

Finally, buffering at the end with the TU-2, your OD's will sound like they are supposed to in addition to the other pedals being more true to their character but that is dependent on any non buffered when active pedals like the vol and wah possibly?

If so, the CS-3 buffer should be ok since Boss pedal buffers do work well for reducing loading but do add their own top end zing, you may like it

Boss CS-3 (compression/sustain) -I like to compress the whole deal
    Dunlop Cry Baby Wah -work both Wah/Vol together for wah tinged swells in sync movement or opposite motion
    Fulltone OCD -place the cleaner of these 2 OD's last and I
    Fulltone Fat Boost am not sure which is cleaner here
    MoogerFooger MF-107 FreqBox -hitting this with OD should be fun
    Line 6 DL-4 -to wash the whole thing in delay
    Electro-Harmonix Holy Grail -then add some verb wash
    Boss RC-2 -get totally looped up with all pedals on
    Boss TU-2 (tuner) -buffering last will not color pedals, miminize board
    to amp cable losses

15. j_hotch

j_hotch Member

Could you elaborate on "triple conductor" cables and how you use them? Thanks!

16. jon71203

what distinguishes the difference between true bypass and a buffered pedal?

any more suggestions? i hope to put the board together this weekend, so any ideas would be greatly appreciated..thanks guys

17. pgissi

pgissi Member

True Bypass pedals are effectively out of the circuit when not active so there is no coloration of your tone from any buffering stages a pedal may have. Its a hard connection of the input to output.

Most boutique OD's are TB and some not boutique also. Check the pedals description on the web or documentation but be aware its sometimes info thats not offered.

I think your Fulltones are TB

I think when analog mentioned triple conductor cable its ac power line wiring thats being refered to. AC Power line induced hum is a common problem and non-electronic dimmers used with incadescent or halogen lighting with dimmers induce it, electronic control dimmers do not. The idea with triple conductor cable is somewhat misunderstood and is part of the electrical code primarily for safety, a dedicated ground in addition to the neutral which is earth ground also is used as a redundant path to ground which can prevent electrocution in the event of equipment failure of some kind by shunting current to ground instead of you.

There is more to the subject and grounding your gear properly for safety and preventing ground loops is where much of it is misunderstood.

To prevent ground loops is summed up by having 1 central ground from your amp being sure that all other gear grounds through it.

Multiple paths to ground can cause ground loops which will induce AC Line noise from motors etc into your sound.

18. pgissi

pgissi Member

One last thing, a pedal may not have a buffer when active, typically a volume pedal since some are passive, no active electronics used. This has a tonal color, sometimes loads up your pickup to where you lose some gain and top end.

Some Wahs also apply, once again check the manufacs page or owners manual

19. jon71203

should i be using the send and return option on the NS-2 to create a loop? if so what should go in the loop?

any other order options? keep 'em comin