Pedal order?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Nevada240, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Nevada240

Nevada240 Member

I have a zendrive, Carl Martin Plexitone, Wampler SLO, boss oc3, boss dd3 digital delay and a korg tuner. Any help on exactly how these should be placed in order from guitar to pedals to amp would be very helpful. Ive had them placed in several different ways but have read that with some being true bypass and some being buffered, they should be placed in a very strict manner. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Ps, I was thinking of adding my fuzz back in there for a few gigs with another band, should that be placed in front? Thanks

2. joshbaezmusic

joshbaezmusic Member

Typically.. it would go: Guitar > tuner > boss OC-3 > fuzz > main distortion/OD > Distortion/OD > DD-3

That's how I would set it up, at least. What distortion pedal are you using as your main distortion flavor?

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  3. Nevada240

Nevada240 Member

Thanks, I use the zendrive for all the lighter/bluesier stuff and the Plexitone and Wampler almost equally for my rock and heavy blues tones. So your saying run my guitar into the delay first?

4. joshbaezmusic

joshbaezmusic Member

Oh, no sorry haha. I did it backwards!

Guitar > Tuner > Boss OC-3 > Fuzz > Zendrive > Plexitone/Wampler > DD-3 > Amp

Play around with the order of your plexitone and wampler. I've learned that by placing a certain pedal before another can offer some really awesome tonal changes!

5. Nevada240

Nevada240 Member

Alright then, Thanks! One last thing here. I'm pretty sure on this, when using a wah, that should go first, right? I use it quite a bit but never leave it in my chain all the time or even through an entire gig, I'll just plug it in when needed and unplug it on songs that I don't use it on. I read that by leaving it in your signal the entire time, it will kill your tone?

6. joshbaezmusic

joshbaezmusic Member

Yeah, I'd put it first. I personally don't use a wah, but between you and me, during a live gig, a "killed tone" is pretty hard to hear. I think there are a lot of tone junkies out there, but you sort of have to take everything with a grain of salt. Personally, if it sounds good, do it, and don't mind what other people are saying because in the end it's your rig.

Also, for effects, a good way to think of it is like this. Take this example with delays and reverb: "If I have my delay AFTER my reverb, then the reverb will get delayed. If I place it BEFORE my reverb, my delays will get reverb'd."

Hope this helps!

7. AXXA

AXXA Supporting Member

I agree with joshbaezmusic on the order, except for the fuzz. The Fuzz should probably go before the OC-3, unless its a Muff type fuzz. The OC-3 is buffered, and most fuzzes don't sound good with a buffer before them. However, the OC-3 probably won't track well if you plan on using it at the same time as the fuzz, assuming the fuzz is first. If you are planning on using those 2 together, you could experiment with the OC-3 first.

Some wahs have hard wire bypass, which could kill your treble a little bit when its off, though it may not bother you. If your wah is true bypass, that won't be an issue. Once again, what kind of fuzz you have could dictate whether the wah is first or not. Some fuzzes, like fuzz faces, don't work well with a wah before them (assuming you're using them together), unless the wah has a fuzz-friendly buffer (like the FoxRox). Any fuzz will work before the wah of course, but that is a matter of personal preference. Also, if you put the wah after a buffered pedal (like the OC-3), there won't be any issues with treble loss, but your wah may sound different due to the buffer. Fuzzes, octaves, wahs, univibes and rangemasters are all pedals that generally like to be first. In most cases these types of pedals don't like buffers before them, excluding the OC-3 in your case. Sometimes compromises must be made when using vintage circuits like these. I use those types of pedals on my board, but I found an order that works for me.

There really are no rigid rules about your pedal order, the most important thing is that everything works and sounds as you want it to. Don't be afraid to switch things around to find the best order for you. Good luck!

8. Nevada240

Nevada240 Member

The fuzz is a Fulltone '69 Fuzz box and the wah is just a Dunlop Jimi Hendrix signature wah pedal. So I could just keep the fuzz in front of the buffered OC-3 and when I'm using the wah just add it in before the fuzz? Sorry, but I believe I'm getting this down now...thanks

9. joshbaezmusic

joshbaezmusic Member

Here comes the line that everyone uses, "Do what sounds good to you!"

Honestly, it's true. Just experiment with each pedal and play around with order. This is just the main idea :)

10. Nevada240

Nevada240 Member

Thanks a lot man. I really appreciate your help and I appreciate the "do what sounds good to you" but still giving me good advice. You pedal blog explained a lot to me. I've been playing for about 15 years and always used an OD through a Blackface and was never concerned about other effects and never needed them until this new band called for a big change. Seems like you know what you're taking about and my rig already sounds twice as good since last night. I'm sure I'll have plenty more questions for you in the near future. Thanks a whole lot!

11. AXXA

AXXA Supporting Member

Your wah may cause squealing (oscillation) if you put it in front of the fuzz face, and try to use both at the same time. Sometimes turning the fuzz knob down a bit helps with this. You'll just have to try it out, maybe they'll play nice together. If you don't plan on using them together, the order doesn't matter.

12. joshbaezmusic

joshbaezmusic Member

Yeah man, that's what TGP is here for! I hate people who post "Do what sounds good to you." and that's all they post, because obviously you wouldn't be on here if that was what you were looking for. Send me a PM if have a question, hopefully I can answer it!