pedal order???

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by PEImatrix, Sep 25, 2008.

1. PEImatrix

PEImatrix Member

Here is the order I'm using now.

Buffer (preset vol) -> VOX Wah -> TS -> AC Booster -> RC Booster (using to boost vol for solos) -> Chorus -> DD-2 Delay - AD-99 Delay

I have a BYOC germainium fuzz and orig LPB2 Booster that I want to add to my board, but I'm not exactly sure where to put them in the chain. Do I put the fuzz before my wah, or before my buffer? If I add the LPB2 and us it to boost solo's, maybe I should put the RC right after the Wah, and leave it on all the time add just a little "push".

Thanks

BTW, I typically use NMV Fenders.

2. PEImatrix

PEImatrix Member

3. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

Put the fuzz and the wah before your buffer. Fuzzes and wahs like unbuffered signals, and fuzzes in particular work best with the direct signal from your guitar. I'd go something like fuzz > wah > buffer > TS > AC Booster > RC Booster > Chorus > DD-2 > AD-99.

If you go to the Keeley Electronics website, I think under his FAQ section he has a great article about pedal order.

4. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

Also those Vox wahs can be real tone-suckers. Mine sure is. If you're experiencing tone loss from it, you might consider a true bypass mod. Keeley does those as well.

5. benjisaynomore

benjisaynomore Member

LPB2 at the end or right before the delay.

Fuzz right after the wah.

6. charmboy

charmboy Member

+1 on this order... although I also agree that if you're putting the wah before fuzz (the only place it sounds good IMHO), you should definitely get it true bypass modded; otherwise your fuzz tones will get ugly (in a bad way) when the wah is off.

7. PEImatrix

PEImatrix Member

Thanks guys. My wah was mod'd by Greg at www.solidgoldfx.com so it is true bypass. I didn't know about the wah before buffer thing though.

8. SolidGoldFX

SolidGoldFX Member

Hey Chris,

if you plan on using your wah with the Fuzz Face, you`ll need to add a buffer to your wah.

9. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

Can you expand on this? When you say "if you plan on using your wah with the Fuzz Face", do you mean in front of the Fuzz Face? Plenty of people use unbuffered wahs in front Fuzz Face type fuzzes with no problems at all. I use a true bypass modded Crybaby and an Analogman Sun Face. Sounds great with the wah in front of the fuzz or vice versa. No buffers.

10. charmboy

charmboy Member

If it sounds great then you're fine. Often, wah won't cut through fuzz so the idea of adding a buffer to the wah has become popular. Foxrox has a wah retrofit kit that you can install for this. Alot of higher end wah's come with this built in now and the newest mxr bc108 fuzz has the buffer built into the input of the fuzz with an on/off switch. The retrofit is something you could consider you feel like your wah isn't cutting through, but again, if it sounds good to you then you're fine.

11. SolidGoldFX

SolidGoldFX Member

It really depends on the fuzz, they don't all require it but in my experience its generally very beneficial. The output impedance of the wah doesn't mesh very well with the input of a fuzz face; the buffer helps them work together. Without a proper buffer, the wah will either squeal, oscillate or will have a very narrow, nasal range.

The reason you put the buffer in the wah and not the fuzz face is because a buffer before a fuzz face usually decreases the pedal's response and dynamics.

12. PEImatrix

PEImatrix Member

Thanks for the info Greg. I'll probably send you my wah as soon as I'm able to start playing/practicing again.

13. SolidGoldFX

SolidGoldFX Member

No problem Chris! Take care of that knee!