Pedal Pad pedalboards

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by cbpickin, Jul 19, 2006.

1. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I did a search and I can't find any references to Pedal Pad boards. They look like a pretty solid product having the onboard power and underneath storage. The metal platforms concern me a little, but they would keep it lightweight.
    Anybody have experience good or bad with these?

I have been using a Furman for the past few years and I am looking to go with something with a hard case. I do like the Furman, but I also would like to have a riser for the back row as I have been bumping knobs on the front row lately.:puh
    I may be paranoid, (MAY be), but I am worried about damaging some of my higher end pedals. I pretty much handle all my gear myself at gigs, but I'm not sure the Furman soft bag is the best solution. I have to be careful how and where I put my pedalboard when I am loading all the gear to go to a gig.
    Am I overreacting or should I make a change?

I looked at the NYC, NGM, Pumaboards and a few others, but the Pedal Pad looks like a nice all-in-one functional board.
    Thoughts?

2. gururyan

gururyan Member

I had given up on finding a board that met the design in my head...then I found the Pedal Pad AXS model. It is absolutely perfect for me and has caused 2 of my friends to get AXS boards as well. I don't have any interest in the other Pedal Pad boards, but I do wish they would offer an AXS+ model as my pedals seem to be multiplying. I keep extra pedals, power supplies and additional cables underneath in the "trunk".

(sorry for the large pic, but it shows the board well)

[​IMG]

3. JLee

JLee Supporting Member

[​IMG]I have a Pedal Pad XL. Amazing stuff! Best part is I got it for $50 used!:crazy Super solid, but ways a TON. Here's an old pic. Rearanged a thing or two and added the Pedal Pad Rack Walls.[​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]

4. cbpickin

The AXS looks pretty cool, especially since it has the carpet everywhere making moving pedals easier. I have a couple of questions though.
    Is the carpet material a good velcro material? Is there the same material in the bottom inside? I'm just thinking how to attach a power strip and pedal power.
    How do you get you power to your pedal power supply? I don't see a hole for the plug to get in/out.
    Also, what kind of pedal power supply are you using with this?
    Thanks!

5. lespauldude

lespauldude Member

I got rid of my Furman board after two years and replaced it with a Pedalpad. Big improvement. A buddy of mine has gigged w/his pedalpad board at least 5 times a week for a couple years, and it is still holding up.

6. gururyan

gururyan Member

Yes, the carpet material is very good. I use industrial Velcro® (the hook part) on my pedals and I have to really get on it to move one. The same material covers 100% of the board, in the "trunk", outside, everywhere. I pull the powerstrip power cord out through the 1/2" gap between the angled board and the side...may have a pic that shows this, if so you will see it below. Right now I am using a vintage MXR Power Converter and a power strip full of warts as my supply. I plan to upgrade to a Burkey Flatliner in the near future.

Ahh, here is an older pic...look at the top right, you will see the power strip cord coming out from between the angled board and the side. When done I simply toss the cord in the "trunk" and lock the lid back on...which can easily hold a small child (also seen below).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. badger6

badger6 Member

I just switched to one and so far I really like it.....very sturdy and well set up....plus you can move the metal plates around to fit your pedals. I used industrial velcro and my pedals stay put.

8. moozak

moozak Silver Supporting Member

here's their home page...

http://www.pedalpad.com/

i've got one... and i like it...

[​IMG]

9. cbpickin

Thanks moozak, I meant I couldn't find any info here at TGP in a search. I have been reading the Pedal Pad site and price checking ebay, etc. Just wanted some more input from TGP users.
    So, people with the the MPS metal panels, are there any drawbacks not having the velcro covering everywhere? I have quite a bit of female velcro laying around and all my pedals already have the male.

I like the idea of having the power supply built in and it's cheaper than buying the AXS and adding a PP2, which I don't currently own. But, I like the design of the AXS to simplify the velcro situation.
    Thanks for all the response.
    Need some more opinions and thinking time.:D

10. badger6

badger6 Member

I just went to office depot and got industrial velcro that was in strips just about the size of a pedal and put it down once I got my pedals set the way I wanted them....so I still have lots of exposed metal. I like that better than my old pedal board where the entire bottom was velcro....man that thing was like a black hole, everything stuck to it so it looked pretty
    mangy at times.

11. cbpickin

To guys that are using the Pedal Pad Power Pad, is it as quiet as the VL PedalPower? Any added signal noise?

12. DavidE

DavidE Member

The Pedalpad boards are really nice, but they are not lightweight. Not by a long shot. That's the only reason I didn't get one.

13. cbpickin

Are they heavier than boards like the NYC or NGM? I understand that the plywood makes them heavy, but all those types of boards must be right?