Pedal Paint Protection - 3M Scotchgard Clear Film

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by zerorez, May 31, 2008.

1. zerorez

zerorez Supporting Member

With all the threads regarding applying velcro to the bottom of pedals and damaging paint, I came up with an idea!

3M Scotchgard clear protection film used to protect vital areas of autos from rockchips from 3M's auto product division.

It comes in 6" or 12" wide rolls and can be applied to the bottom of the pedal and then velcro applied over that to protect paint.

What do you guys think?

Info found here:

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Scotchgard-PPF/Home/For_the/Consumer/Product_Info/

http://stores.ebay.com/DCB-Vehicle-Protection_Bulk-3M-Clear-Bra_W0QQfsubZ5QQtZkm

Cheers
    Joe

2. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

That's actually a really good idea. I think velcro looks tacky anyway. This is one of those great homespun helpful hints that actually work, as far as I can guess. Back in the mid '80's, I read in the letters section of Guitar Player about using Kleen & Shine (Johnson Wax) all-purpose cleaner (aerosol) to clean and polish every inch of your guitar, including hardware. It worked great, too; better than any guitar polish I ever tried. Unfortunately, they don't make it anymore, and I don't know if they changed the name or replaced it with something comparable. Too bad. I'd love to use it again.

I'll have to try the 3M some time.

3. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I wonder if someone would still feel that the pedal was altered when it came time to sell it. I have the 3M on a couple cars and it works great.

4. Jam119

Jam119 Member

Actuallly - that's a brilliant idea and this is coming from a Sign Maker for 18 years... My only suggestion would be to used 3M 180c film with comply... you can get it at most sign shops who stock it and its what we use for doing vehicle wraps and the adehesive is great because it doesnt leave a residue behind... PM me if you need easy access to some as the company I own has a ton of it...

5. amphead777

amphead777 Member

Can you peel it off without damaging the paint ? Or, does it peel off at all ?

6. zerorez

According to 3M's product info the scotchgard clear film is removable but not reuseable and is not supposed to not effect the paint.

3m's website indicates that nascar uses the product to protect the custom paint jobs on cars.

7. zerorez

Thanks Jam119 for the idea, I will have to look into the 3M 180C film, it might be cheaper then the 8 mil scotchgard automotive film.

appreciate the info!:D

8. amphead777

amphead777 Member

This sounds great. Is this a Home Depot item ?

9. Dexter.Sinister

Dexter.Sinister Still breathing Gold Supporting Member

Better living through chemistry.

[​IMG]

DS