Pedal picking up a radio frequency

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by rwijaya, Jun 3, 2008.

1. rwijaya

rwijaya Supporting Member

hey gear pagers, has anyone ever encounter issues where your pedal picking up a radio frequency when in the chain? and even stronger when you turn it on?

i currently experiencing this issues with my modded vox wah pedal. currently its has a different non stock inductor.

any suggestion of what i can do to debug this problem?

thx in advance!

2. RonaldB

RonaldB Member

Use shielded wire in your WAH for the in and out put wires from the jacks and to the board.
    Since WAH shell's sometimes are made from plastic you can also shield your enclosure like you shield your guitar to.

hope it helps,
    Ronald

3. Montez

Montez Member

I have killed the rf by making a copper foil shield that fits just around the inductor. Make sure you ground the shield. You can also try a 100pf cap across the input jack, tip to ring(gnd).

4. rwijaya

RonaldB : Sure it helps :) i will let you know if its working after this mod again.

Montez : I will try this for sure, i think thats the only think i didn't do on the mod. no shielding, i will let you know if this solve it.

5. majorledhead

majorledhead Member

Make sure the nuts on the jacks are tight. My eternity was turning into an AM radio until Sean suggested checking the nuts and it solved the problem.

6. 4styx

4styx Member

Try running a wire between the grounds of the in and out jacks.Using the shell as the only ground never made sense to me.

7. Montez

Montez Member

1+
    I do this mod for every Wah in get in for repair. it is just bad design.

8. rwijaya

very cool suggestion, i will look into that and report it again if it solve it.

thx montez 4styx and majorledhead