pedal picking up radio stations!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Goku13, Jan 12, 2008.

1. Goku13

Goku13 Member

My tonebone pedal has picked up radio stations from time to time....hadn't happened in a while, but it keeps happening where my band is practicing nowadays, and it is pretty annoying, so I have been using my Crunchbox instead. What causes the tonebone to pick up radio stations? My Crunchbox doesn't pick up anything, and neither does our other guitarists's Marshall Jackhammer. I am playing through a Fender Twin and a PRS FYI. Luckily, the radio station thing has never happend at a gig!

Help?

2. Rid

Rid Senior Member

Better reciver;)
    Sometimes you are just unlucky!
    With those big high power stations you guys have overthere....well consider yourself lucky not to have more of that!
    Used to have some Russian radio and Luxemburg showing up at practise and gigs..lol
    Could change stations with my volumeknob!

3. amz-fx

amz-fx Supporting Member

Radio Frquency (RF) interference... it sometimes happens with high gain pedals if they do not have filtering on the input.

You could unsolder the wire from the switch to the input of the pcb, and slide on a couple of ferrite beads and it will likely eliminate the problem.

More reading: http://www.muzique.com/lab/hum.htm

regards, Jack

4. Speed_Racer71

Speed_Racer71 Member

had a maxon od808 that picked up either asian or hispanic radio, cant remember which one other than they were def not english speaking ones. i sold that pedal and later bought another one and it doesnt do it.

5. d-b

d-b Member

Is it at least a decent station?:D

6. Aussie Mike

Aussie Mike Member

Could be the power supply? I don't know tonebone, but maybe try it with a battery if possible?

7. Pylonracer

Pylonracer Member

Same thing happened to me when I was trying out a Fulltone Ultimate Octave under battery power. Needless to say, I left it on the shelf. I'm not sure why proper shielding wouldn't eliminate it; but I'm not an EE

8. drift_boat

drift_boat Member

I was trying out a Radial Hot British that did that. I would have bought it otherwise. I used their plug-in wall adapter for the power supply. Tried several wall outlets in the house, still did it. Took it back to the major store and they tried it without a problem...and looked at me funny.

i think alot of it is the vintage and quality of the house wiring you plug into.

9. 4styx

4styx Member

Or bad (cheap)cords!

10. crazyguitarist4

crazyguitarist4 Member

Sometimes when I click my wah on at practice you can hear classic rock playing at the higher frequencies. I just hit a few boost pedals so I can hear better lol. It just happens depending where I am though.

11. Bikedude

Bikedude Gold Supporting Member

I have a "cheapo" Danelectro "Hot Pastrami" pedal that picks up Jewish stations. What's up with that.

12. Bikedude

Bikedude Gold Supporting Member

Seriously it does pick up a lot of different stations depending upon the location i'm using it at. It's the cheapest pedal I ever got, and it looks just as cheap, all plastic, but it sounds ok if it isn't picking up radio.

13. Speed_Racer71

Speed_Racer71 Member

you have to do the circumcision mod for that to stop :BEER

14. Goku13

Goku13 Member

lol its some kinda salsa station in spanish! Kinda kills the mood after we finish one of our songs as the last chord rings out. =)

It's weird cause the first time we jammed at our new place, the radio stations were there, but the next time, it was perfectly quiet! And then last night, the salsa was back, and I tried different outlets and all that stuff.

15. JB

JB Member

Sounds like my Fulltone '70s pedal. Turn the volume knob down on my strat and the station becomes as loud as a radio on full blast.. Sometimes I just sit back and listen to the radio through my tube amp.

SirGilmour likes this.
  16. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

Enjoy the free tunes bro.

17. SuperSoundMusic

SuperSoundMusic Member

I always have fun when I pick up Radio Stations. If they're loud enough I Jam to them and work on my improvising. :JAM

Any Germanium based pedals pick them up really good.

18. PatchCord

PatchCord Member

In the past I have found that the most popular reasons are...

(#1) Cheap Cables
    (#2) Loose Jacks