Pedal Placement for Bass

FirstTake

I've read a lot of interesting thoughts here on buffers and where to put them. A lot of these thoughts come from guitar players trying to so I was wondering what the best setup for bass would be.

My board is pretty simple. I have a boss TU-2, Octaver, Phase 90,Way Huge Pork Loin and a Dispatch Master for delay/verb.

I believe all are True bypass except the TU-2. Mine is pretty old, probably from 98 or so (if that matters). I have heard to use the TU-2 buffer first to buffer all the true bypass pedals and I have heard to add it last to buffer post TB pedals. So I'm not 100% on either option, but I see a lot of people with it first.

Anyway, the chain I am thinking about is TU-2>Octave>Pork Loin>Phase 90>Dispatch Master

Interested in the best placement of the pork loin as well. Tonal details matter for me on this board since I will be using it in studio a lot too. If it was just love, I'd probably have already velcroed the thing up in the above configuration.

ldizzle

Silver Supporting Member
I'd personally do Octave>Pork Loin>Phase 90>Dispatch Master>Tuner so it's a channel mute-

Some like a phase 90 before drives, I like it after- your choice. I'd certainly keep the octave first.

Cheers and welcome to TGP!

FirstTake

I'd personally do Octave>Pork Loin>Phase 90>Dispatch Master>Tuner so it's a channel mute-

Some like a phase 90 before drives, I like it after- your choice. I'd certainly keep the octave first.

Cheers and welcome to TGP!
Hi, and thanks! Any other reason you'd have tuner last besides channel muting? I'm curious how the buffer thing affects bass tone.

olejason

Agreed on Octave>Pork Loin>Phase 90>Dispatch Master>Tuner

Generally, the same rules apply for bass as guitar.

ldizzle

Silver Supporting Member
Hi, and thanks! Any other reason you'd have tuner last besides channel muting? I'm curious how the buffer thing affects bass tone.
Nope, bass tone is generally less.. dwelt/obsessed/neglected? upon as the mystical and haunting mids/overhype of guitar tone. In my opinion of course ;). I can plug in a mid-priced bass into a mid-priced amp and go potentially play a stadium and sound great(can with guitar as well...choose not to ;) ).

The buffer shouldn't be a HUGE different due to the length of the chain.

It's a short chain- I'd be more concerned on isolated power and quality cables. After that, it's just hands!

A caveat: I have a BDDI on my bass board so I put my tuner right before that so I can use the XLR/1/4 out on the sansamp directly off the board without wonky routing.

Live, I like a master mute just to kill any noise or anything going to foh. I do this with my guitar board as well.

Hope this helps!

MattLeFevers

As far as a master mute goes, unless your pedals are crazy noisy then beginning or end of chain shouldn't matter. Either way you're killing the signal from the instrument so at that point you'd only still have noise if the pedals are producing it all by themselves (not unheard of, just not something I've run into).

Buffer-wise, I'm not an impedance expert but that's not a super long run of pedals. Buffers are supposed to make up for tone loss on long cable runs, but four patch cables shouldn't count as a long run, so your major run of cable is probably the one between the bass and the pedalboard. Tuner first or tuner last is probably fine I'd think, whatever works best with your layout.

FirstTake

This indeed helps a lot. My main concern was tone really. I use Mogami patch cables and all this fits on a Pedaltrain Nano, which is what I wanted.

As for power I use a Noble tube Preamp which powers all my pedals and functions as my DI and EQ. I use a Mogami XLR cable out of that when I record in the studio. I like the concept of a master mute, so having the tuner last makes sense to me.

Trending Topics