Pedal placement question: Tim, Timmy, and TS9

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Tone, Jun 27, 2006.

1. Tone

Tone Member

Hey guys, I know there have been a lot of these but I can't find a thread that really talks about these exact pedals in placement.

I want to use my Tim or Timmy on the amps clean channel to give it some slight OD for a bluesy clean-slightly overdriven tone. Not fully crunched out, but just enough dirt to add some sustain and character. That way I can just click it off to go back to a fully clean tone. Then, I want to use the TS9 for solo parts or certain other parts that require a little more gain, midrange, and sustain.

Would it be better to run the guitar-TS9-Tim/Timmy, or guitar-Tim/Timmy-TS9 and why? I know I could go both ways, but if it were you, which order would you go with and why?

Thanks!:RoCkIn

2. erksin

erksin Member

IMO - TS-9 into Tim/Timmy.

The Timmy's EQ is spectacular - it can retain the TS-9's character completely during stacking, or tailor it as much as you want. Running the Timmy into the TS-9 would kill everything that is great about the Timmy - you'll lose the open quality, dynamics, etc due to the TS-9s VERY limited Tone circuit.

3. Tone

Tone Member

erksin,
    Could you please explain a little more on how and why the stacking order has effect on the overall tone? Why does the TS9 into the Timmy retain the TS9's character, and Timmy into TS9 kill everything good about the Timmy? I'm really trying to understand how all this works, so thanks for the help! :D

4. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

I agree with a lot of what erksin says but I'm not sure it's quite as cut and dried as that. I'd say it depends on a couple of things:-

The two options:

TS9 > Timmy > Amp
    Used in this fashion you're goosing the Timmy with the extra gain of the TS9 and using the Timmy as the final EQ shaper. The only problem with this however is that the volume setting of the Timmy (which you're intending to have set for your rhythm level) will limit how much volume increase you get.

Timmy > TS9 > Amp
    Used in this way your lead voume increase can be set by the TS9 volume control so it's easier to dial in a big volume increase (in case of sleeping sound guy!) however you won't have as much control of the final tone shaping. As erksin says when you step on the TS9 for solos you'll be hearing more TS9 tone than Timmy but that's not neccessarily a bad thing.

I've been going through similar experiments with a Timmy and a Klon and I've actually settled on Timmy > Klon as my order.

As always the advice is see what you like best via trial and error.

5. erksin

erksin Member

I think Grant described it pretty well!

In my case, I don't rely on a pedal to goose up my volume for solos - I use my guitar's volume knob - so I didn't take into consideration the use of one or the other as a volume booster when I gave you my reply, sorry! I do notice a slight increase in volume when I hit my Timmy with my CoT50 or Blue Boy - but it is not dramatic.

The thing about the Timmy in my rig is that it really sounds like my amp cranked up to low gain - having it last in the chain of ODs ensures I keep that quality when I stack other gain pedals with it. If I had my Blue Boy last (a TS style box), it's EQ would now be dictating the overall OD tone and I'd lose that open amp-like quality the Timmy has. I'd liken running the Timmy into the TS-9 to a 'funnel' effect, if that makes any sense...

6. Tone

Tone Member

Thanks guys, I think I'm getting it a little.

7. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

Great!...then it must almost be time for us to confuse you again with all of the Timmy options of DIP switch settings and swapping op-amps!

8. Tone

Tone Member

Anything you want to add, please feel free to man. I read about the different op-amp chips already like the LM1458. :) Much experimenting to come.

I'm still a little lost on exactly how having one pedal in front of the other or vice versa, changes the way they sound/react. If they're both on at the same time, how exactly does having the pedals in one order differ from the other?

9. erksin

erksin Member

I'll make the analogy to plumbing - let's say pedals with simple EQs could be equated to 1/2" pipe, pedals with greater EQ flexibility are more like 1" pipe. Run the simple EQ into the full range EQ and in most cases you retain the voicing of both pedals since the full range EQ will let all of the previous pedals frequencies pass through - lots of room in the 1" pipe. In reverse, you'd have the full range EQ being 'funneled' down through the simpler EQ circuit (a smaller conduit) - you'd lose the wider frequency response because of the limited nature of the simpler tone circuit. Pedals are run in series (like plumbing) - what ever comes last is what is going to determine the overall EQ sent to the amp...

10. Tone

Tone Member

Erksin,
    Thanks man!