1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

pedal platform: Hot Rod Deluxe/DeVille vs. Twin Reverb

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Derelict, Feb 14, 2009.

1. Derelict

Derelict Member

i have run pedals through hot rods and they take pedals incredibly well, but how does the twin reverb compare? it is hard for me to imagine any amps taking pedals better than the hot rods, but i dig a twin's cleans.

toughts?

:dunno

2. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

Twins are great pedal platforms as are most all Fenders.

3. bluesd0g

bluesd0g Member

Interesting book by Dave Hunter "Guitar Effects Pedals The practical handbook". It says that the Hot Rod Deluxe is one of the best choices when using pedals 'cause the twin has a hard time breaking up at reasonable (stage) volumes.

4. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

I have had both... and IMHO, the HR/Devilles do a little better with pedals IF you're driving the sound. The twin does better if you're using more cleaner pedals. I had an older twin and it was "testy" with the pedals when you wanted to get a hotter OD sound. I'm using a 90s Blues Deville 4x10 now and it's great with my TS-9 and BD-2.

5. hector

hector Member

I have both the HRDx and Twin '65. Using the same pedalboard with a Rat clone, OCD, Timmy OD, etc. the HRDx sounds better. The Twin with an O.D. sounds a little boxy and not as natural. Which makes sense, since the power tubes are not really breaking up yet. It works, but not as well as the HRDx, imo. Modulation effects are a different story.

6. joolzriff

joolzriff Member

i find it to be the opposite,i preffer the twin,LARGE sound w/ the jbl's

7. Squigglefunk

Squigglefunk Senior Member

the HRD's clean tone is based on the bassman so it's a bit less bright and warmer IMO. I think they are both good pedal platforms.

8. guitarlifestyle

guitarlifestyle I like guitars. Silver Supporting Member

I had a '65 Twin and got rid of it because it was hard to get a good sound at low volumes, even with pedals. I haven't tried a HRDx, so I can't compare it to the Twin. If you can push the tubes in the Twin enough, it sounds great, but I rarely was able to get it that loud.