Pedal Popping

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by rich2k4, Oct 2, 2008.

1. rich2k4

rich2k4 Supporting Member

how do you get rid if this?

i notice whenever i turn on my carbon copy, it pops.

microvibe pops also as well as my vox wah once i used a battery clip adapter. but it only happens when i have my tone clean. once i engage the fulltone GT500 the popping stops in the microvibe and wah. but it is still there in the carbon copy.

any ideas?

2. shngn7

shngn7 Member

True bypass pedals tend to do that. Robert Keeley recommends that you just click it on and off a bunch of times when going from place to place to "equalize the voltages." It works pretty well for some pedals, but I have had trouble with the pop I got from any BBE pedal I had.

3. RanaldoNecro

RanaldoNecro Member

I have the same issue with an old MXR pedal. The pop is really loud...

Any suggestions?

RN

4. acwild

acwild Member

I get this pop when clicking off in my effects loop. It doesn't pop in front, but it also doesn't sound right place in front either. The answer that I got was to try an "interfaced switched buffer." When I figure out what the heck one of these thingies is, I'll be sure to share that info.:crazy

5. Somniferous

Somniferous Member

That is why TB isn't always the way to go (sometimes I think all the TB stuff is marketing). Sure it will get the pedal out of your signal path, but your up for a click (either a big or small) when you turn the pedal on. It seems pedals do it more when they are in an effects loop.

6. RanaldoNecro

RanaldoNecro Member

It has been like a witchhunt with my fellow musicians who just can't take the noise...

7. starfish

starfish Member

From GeoFex website:
    Read more here: http://www.geofex.com/article_folders/bypass/bypass.htm

8. pennylink

pennylink Member

I emailed Keeley Electronics about this some time ago, because my Keeley modded AD-9 switch pops the first time I use it within a session. This is the answer I received:

Yes, that initial pop is normal. It is a cap discharging when it first gets power. Usually if you wait about 10 or 15 seconds after you plug it in or plug the power adapter in, then the pop wonÂ’t be nearly as bad. If you switch it on right after you plug in it, then you will get a pretty big pop. So the pop is normal but it can be avoided if you give it around 10 to 15 seconds after you plug it in or connect power to it. If you have any other questions, please let me know. Have a good day!
    Thank you,

Isaac Nelson
    Service Department

Keeley Electronics
    6400 Industrial Blvd.
    Edmond, OK 73034

9. JYD

JYD Supporting Member

My MXR 10-Band EQ pops loudly in the effects loop of my Budda SD30.

10. Isaiah4Autumn

Isaiah4Autumn Member

yep...just click them on for a few minutes (while power is on)...sometimes you can get static electricity built into the the switch...

11. Sikor

Sikor Member

My CC and MicroVibe are completely silent.

What's Your signal chain?