Pedal Power 2+ or Big John?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Gi-gi-giggity, Jul 22, 2006.

1. Gi-gi-giggity

Gi-gi-giggity Member

I have: Comp>Wah>Boost>Preamp>Chorus>Delay>Tuner and need to power these puppy. I'll never use more than 3 pedals simultaneously at any given time.

Sooooo, since it's the last peice I need for my board...which one and why?
    Experiences? Praises? Frustrations?

Please share.

Thanks.

2. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Gold Supporting Member

Never tried the Big John, but I have used my Pedal Power 2+ for quite a while and I love it, it's one of the best investments I've made. I can't compare it to the Big John because I don't know much about it, but the Pedal Power 2+ handles a wide variety of pedals and has 8 isolated power outputs for pedals (switchable between 9v and 12v).

3. sense_of_henry

sense_of_henry Member

I have had a PP2+ for a while too and in addition to the features described, there are others as well. For example, the "SAG" function on the last two outlets allows you to simulate a dying battery. This is particularly handy with some of the older analog overdrives. As well, it has enough mA to handle Boss Twin pedals. I am happy with mine.

4. Gi-gi-giggity

Gi-gi-giggity Member

Cool...thanks guys.
    Any Big John users care to chime in?

5. Jungleman

Jungleman Member

No Big John here, instead I've got a Double Jack (basically the same but with two of the outputs Boss ACA 12 V -style) and a PP2+, for two different pedalboards. The Double Jack is ok, PP2+ is better. It is more flexible, less noisy and able to power pedals with unusual power requirements, like my Fulltone '69.

6. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Big John is the only one I've owned, never tried a PP2.

Where I am (Oslo), the Big John is considerably less expensive. I haven't yet hooked it up to a o-scope to see what kind (if any) "ripple voltage" is present, but damn...hooked up to all my pedals or not, that thing sits perfectly on 9.0000000 volts DC.

I've had the one a few years. Built a small holder under my pedalboard which is raised...once I accidentally shorted the barrely connecter on a chassis, and the power failed (as is to be expected) but I unplugged and plugged in again and it was fine.

I like that it has both an ON and a "Power OK" LED.

This stuff isn't rocket science, you should be fine with either. I don't think there is a huge difference, check the specs though. Big John only supplies 9vdc (7 outputs, but I also daisy chain a couple of them).

One negative with the Big John, (don't know about PP2) is they only supply 5 power cables (on a 7 output unit!!) AND they are straight connectors. I bought right-angles barrel connectors, and made my own so pedals could be closer together.

7. urlkonig

urlkonig Supporting Member

Are there any major differences between the Pedal Power 2 and the 2+?

I've been using an original VLPP for several years now, but I just got a Line 6 verbzilla and suspect I may need to upgrade to the 2 or 2+ in order to power it properly... If that's not the case, I'd love to know the answer to that as well.

Are the Line 6 outputs on the 2/2+ DEDICATED to Line 6 pedals only? (I assume these are for the large-box units, not the tone core series?) I don't want to limit my options, as I'm pretty much using all of the power line outs on my PP now.

Thanks.

8. vorvick

vorvick Member

I have a PP and PP2. The PP does not have the mA's available to power my Goodrich volume pedal (using a y cable for 18v) but the PP2 does.

Also, the PP2 has two outputs that can be switched into Line6 Modeler mode.

9. urlkonig

urlkonig Supporting Member

Do you have the PP2, or the PP2+? So the outputs can be in Line6 modeler mode OR "normal" mode, depending on how they are switched?

10. Jungleman

Jungleman Member

Yes, that's the PP2+.

11. vorvick

vorvick Member

Dang, I guess I'll have to go look... mine does what you're saying, above. I'm running a DL-4 and an MM-4 with it. It's also powering my goodrich.

12. MTLove

MTLove Member

I just got a PP2+ a couple days ago, and called Voodoo Labs. Nice guys. Said that for a DL4, just switch the tab away from normal, and yes you can use all 8 inputs normally if you aren't using them for Line 6 pedals.