Pedal power 2 vs. fuel tank jr. Which is best for my needs?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by nrvana8775, Jan 25, 2008.

1. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

I have a vht valvulator, which provides (3) 9v @ 80ma and (1) 12v @ 120 ma. I am done buying pedals (except maybe a reverb), so I am confident enough in buying a power adapter for my current setup.

Boss TU2
    George Dennis Stereo Volume Pedal
    Barber Tone Press
    Barber BarbEQ
    Analogman AR20DL XL
    T-rex Replica (12v @ 500 ma)
    Keeley TR2

There aren't any used fuel tank jr's, so I would have to spend $100. At best, I can find the pp2's for $150 or so. I could save the extra $50 and grab a pedaltrain jr or I could spend it on a pp2. Not really sure that I would need all of the options they have though. Maybe this is a case of spend it just in case? :confused:

2. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

Oh come on, I know people have the pp2 that they want to suggest.

3. mcdes

mcdes Member of no importance

ok here goes.

it is my belief that though the fuel tank jnr would be awesome, it only does 9v and 18v. also with the isolated outputs, the t-rex at 500ma would be too much load i reckon.

so your best bet is the pp2+.

4. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

Ahh, that's the conclusion I'm coming to. I don't want to spend $100 on the fuel tank, then need more spaces, and find that resale on the ftjt will be less and I will have to spend more than the $50 original.

I could buy a pedaltrain with the extra $50 though!

5. john b

john b Supporting Member

I almost went with a FT jr and ended up with a PP2. The FT seems really cool but I opted to go with the more options that the PP2 has knowing that my pedal board will always change, even though I think I finally got it right.

I figure these things will last so long and be relevant for such a long time that the extra $ is worth it.

6. Strat58

Strat58 Member

HI i had a T Rex Fluel tank and mine board was very noisy, I repleced the T rex for a pedal power 2 now you won't hear noise. I think that said it all.
    Peace Strat58

7. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

Hmm, I know that the fuel tanks don't have isolated outputs, whereas the the fuel tank juniors do.

I'll end up with the pp2 I have a feeling.

8. macca

macca Member

I have a fuel tank jr. and has given me no noise problems (I also have a PP2+) tat gives me no problems), so it really should come down to whether the 5 isolateds on the jr match up with your power needs. I'm not sure it does, given your T-Rex needs.

9. pear gage

pear gage Member

Music 123 has $65 off $250 so you can buy a pp2+ and a pt jr. for a little over $200 total.

10. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

Hmm, thanks for the heads up pear.

11. DarkOne666

DarkOne666 Member

Hey guys. i have a Boss-me70 and a morpheus droptune pedal...am i able to plug them into the pedalpower 2? could you please explain my the connection directions? so i can check it out...im thinking of getting this power supply...as my pedalboard will surely grow :)

Thanks !

- Art

12. nosidamde

nosidamde Supporting Member

T-Rex Fuel Tank Classic is the only power supply that I could find with a 12V DC outlet, the only problem you'll run into is that you'll need a reverse polarity adapter for the DropTune when it's plugged into the Fuel Tank Classic.

13. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

Classic is not isolated, so I would suggest against it if you have center negative and positive tipped pedals. The Classic is like a daisy chain.

FYI, the Voodoo Lab PP2+ and ISO-5 have 12V taps, the ISO-5 has a dedicated tap but shares the 300mA w/ the 9V tap. The PP2+ has 12V taps in the first 6 outlets, you just have to switch the DIP switch away from normal.

The VL PSU have positive tip cables supplied in their packaging.

14. Twangasaurus

Twangasaurus Member

I have the T-Rex Fuel Tank Chameleon and love it. Great power supply. Seems it might be out of your price range though?
    I would just go for the PP2.