Pedal power can't believe my ears

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Strat58, Jan 19, 2008.

1. Strat58

Strat58 Member

HI a had some noise and hum from my current power supply and was realy getting enoid by it. I saw a ad for a Pedal power 2 and thought well lets give it a try, today it arrived and I hooked my pedals up, turn on the amp hey is the amp on ? well little bit louder then ops my volume was closed. I hit the strings and man I could'n't believe my ears everything came come out super clean no hum no noise only tone massive tone. I think that the pedal power is making everything sound better and cleaner. Best buy this year and only 125 euro's
    Peace Strat58

2. warioblast

warioblast Member

Nice deal.
    I really wanted to buy one this week, but it seems every European Voodoo Lab dealer is out of stock :BITCH.

3. Strat58

Strat58 Member

Hi I must say mine was 2hand :)
    Peace Strat58

4. BobboVisMe

BobboVisMe Member

I love my Pedal power 2 .. It sits under the back riser of my board !

[​IMG]

5. sandman

sandman Member

Can you buy 220V version direct from Voodoo Lab?

6. Ravindave_3600

Ravindave_3600 Member

Forgive my ignorance, but what makes a power supply brick costing 124E better than a $25 1-Spot? This isn't a veiled criticism, but I would really like to know if I should make the investment.

7. crosse79

crosse79 Member

They have isolated power transformers - thus each is like 8 mini 1-spot by itself. This pervents hums. It also means that if one of the transformers spoil - you'll still have about 7 more. The power is also regulated properly & fuse protected - thus saving you pedals from untimely death incase there is a power spike.

8. btmish

btmish Member

Plus you can run pedals at 12volts, or 18 volts (not sure if this is the case w/ one spot), and you can "sag" two of the outputs from 9v down to 4 volts.

9. Bart

Bart Member

To add on what was already said, 1-Spot supplies its power via daisychain, therefore, susceptible to groundloop as the interconnected pedals share a same ground.
    Think of PP2 like an eight separate wall warts. Each power source is isolated from each other so there's no groundloop.

10. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Is there an alternative version which does pretty much the same thing,
    only less expensive?

11. Crikey

Crikey Member

A used one?

I'm not sure of other power supplies that can do the voltage sag thing and have high-current outputs for Line 6 and other effects, plus 12V outputs for the pedals that need them. You can run 18V and 24V effects using special cables with two of the 9V or 12V outputs. MXR has a number of 18V effects, including their flanger, and Electro-Harmonix has 24V effects, including the Deluxe Memory Man. Competing power supplies might have some of these features (e.g. the Dunlop one has 18V outputs), but I don't know of any that do all of these.

Before I got my Peterson Strobostomp, I couldn't believe anyone would pay $200 for a pedal tuner. I lucked into a good deal, and wouldn't be without one now -- it's in a whole different league from everything else I've tried. People seem to feel the same way about the Pedal Power 2.

My One-Spot only lasted 13 months of light duty. I'm going to get a Pedal Power 2 next.

Lucidology, you post some sweet clips, man! :AOK

Crikey

12. StuBrew

StuBrew Member

I just did exactly the same thing, bought a PP2+ to replce one of my Trex Fuel Tanks (the other one powers my fx in the loop) and my rig is now dead quiet, even when running lots of gain on my amp.
    I know theyre abit expensive but I think they are seriously worth the money, it just makes playing my rig so much more fun without the annoying ground loop hum!

13. Nibiru

Nibiru Member

Just got back from NAMM, saw the prototype for the new Pedal Power Versa!
    Here's what the flyer reads (the short edited version)

Designed to be used with battery operated pedals and high currnt units like Whammy, Nova Delay/Reverb, Timefactor, etc! With AC and multiple DC outputs, it also directly powers 18V pedals including MXR type, and standard 9 volt pedals.

I was thinking about buying the Pedal Power 2 Plus, but i think i'll wait for these new Versa's to come out! Just thought some more of you might be interested.

14. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

A used one is the way to go then... :)

& Thanks for the kind words about my clips too Crikey ...

15. Joses

Joses Member

if you don't have any 12v pedals, a t-rex fuel tank jr. is a very viable option - $99 for 5 isolated & regulated outputs.

i use 2 of them for my board as a PP2+ needs to be 240v to work in my area, and specially ordering one of those would cost my left arm...and i'm glad to say the Jr's work like a charm :)

16. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Very Cool ...

So the T-Rex Fuel Tank is also a ground hum zapper ...!!

17. Joses

Joses Member

Oh, just to clarify...its the t-rex JR that features individually isolated outputs - the t-rex fuel tank isn't actually fully isolated (its sections of 9v, 12v DC & 12v AC are isolated, but its 8 9v outputs all share the same ground)

Just wanted to clarify in case you looked into the wrong one :D

18. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

This Baby ...

//[​IMG]
    View Full-Size Image'); T-Rex Fuel Tank Junior

Price per Unit (piece): £79.00

Fuel Tank Junior is a lean, mean power supply that will handle virtually any 9-Volt effects pedal – and then some.

Just like its big sister Juicy Lucy, Junior features 5 isolated outputs that deliver clean, quiet power to your pedals. Don’t let the compact size of this unit fool you – Fuel Tank Junior is a real powerhouse!
    Fuel Tank Junior comes with 10 standard pedal cables and a link cable that lets you power 5 separate units (total maximum of 120mA) off a single output.

A special serial cable (voltage doubler) – also included – lets you combine 2 outputs into 1, so you can even power your classic 18-Volt pedal alongside your 9-Volt units.
    Fueltank Junior comes with all the cables you need:
    - link cable (daisy chain) with 5 DC plugs
    - DC-to-minijack cable 25cm
    - DC-to-DC cables 50cm
    - DC-to-DC cables 25cm
    - voltage doubler cable that doubles the voltage to 18 volt

19. Joses

Joses Member

yessir thats the one :D

although £79 is a little steep...u could do better with analogman

20. thesteve

thesteve Member

Regarding these isolation supplies...

is it a bad idea to run multiple boxes off of the same output? Like...if I have more than 5 stompboxes, should the T-Rex Fuel Tank Jr. just not be considered at all?