Pedal power issue (MXR Flanger M-117)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by antiwork, Jan 31, 2012.

1. antiwork

antiwork Member

So, I'm having an issue with my flanger. When I run it off of battery power (2 x 9volts), it works fine. If I try to run it off of my BBE Supa Charger at any voltage: 9, 12, 16, or with a voodoo power adapter cable 18volts, it is varying levels of messed up. At 9 or 12 volts it basically does nothing sound-wise. At 16 or the recommended 18 volts, the pedal will oscillate audibly even if it's turned off. If you switch it on, you get an extremely loud burst of oscillating white noise (waaaaaay above unity volume) going through the amp. :omg

What are my options here? Anyone else running one of these pedals off of a pedal power supply.. especially a BBE Supa Charger?

2. jb4674

jb4674 Member

You might need to set the high gain option on the 18 volt mode because it needs 150Ma. This is the adapter that comes with the pedal:

[​IMG]

3. antiwork

antiwork Member

Thanks, that helps.. sort of.

According to the BBE manual, I have my choice of 100Ma outlets, or 200Ma outlets -- neither of which seem to be making the flanger happy.

For what good it does, here is the link to the BBE manual: BBE Supa Charger manual

At the risk of confusing the crap out of myself, how many Ma does the average 9v battery have?

4. jb4674

jb4674 Member

Well.... After looking at the manual, I don't think the supacharger can do 18 volts, so even if you're using the voodoo labs power adapter cable (which I'm not sure that it would be compatible with your bbe), the pedal is still seeing 16 volts.

Unless I'm reading the manual wrong, I think the highest voltage the supacharger will put out is 16 volts out of outputs 5 & 6 with the dipswitches in the up position.

You might want to consider selling it and getting a Cioks DC-10 or a PP2+, as they should be able to give you 18 volts to power your flanger.