Pedal power or Juicebox or ?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ducmike, Jul 23, 2006.

1. ducmike

ducmike Silver Supporting Member

Can you power 8 normal pedals with the VL pedal power? It looks like outlets 5&6 are for line6 only. I'm going to upgrade my Furman board to a Puma, and need power advice. I typically have 10-11 pedals to power, and was thinking I could use the vlpp extra oulet to run a couple pedals with my onespot too. Though I have certain pedals that don't like the onespot, or I would just use it to save the cash.

Does the Juicebox have an extra outlet too?

Any others that I'm overlooking?

2. TBone

TBone Member

The JuiceBox does have a courtesy outlet on the back.

One other thing to remember - not all pedals have to be isolated and in fact a large number can share an isolated channel of power. However since your Onepot doesn't have any isolated outputs, we you do run across that set of pedals that don't like to share power, your only option is noise.

You can use a "y" cable (our Cable #6) to split the outputs of a JuiceBox to run multiple pedals on one isolated channel. A little trial and error testing will show which pedals work okay together and which ones need to be split out. So think of a JuiceBox more like 5 separate isolated power supplies in one box - with better filtering and a toroidal transformer upgrade which your missing on the digital suppy. Unless you're using some unusally power hungry pedals, you can probably power a rig 2 to 3 times the size of your swith a JuiceBox without any problems.

Tbone

3. gururyan

gururyan Member

[​IMG]

I made this simplified comparison chart for my own thrills about 4 months ago (?), maybe you will find it useful as well. I am going to get the Flatliner myself. Oh, you can also adjust the resistance (as well as the voltage of course) on the Flatliner's dying battery deal.

4. ducmike

Thanks for the info tbone and gururyan, both very helpful. I have thought about running 2 pedals off the same outlet if they normally are not on at the same time. But tbone, are you saying I can run 2 at the sametime off of one outlet?

5. guitartech

guitartech Member

Ducmike,
    Yes you can run two off the same outlet using a Y-cable (as long as both pedals are the same polarity). As long as you don't exceed the total amperage of the unit, you can run quite a bit of Y cables. I have done this for years with every incarnation of the Juicebox.

6. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

Ummm...sorry, but my juicebox has way more than 5 outputs (I'm at my office now, and really don't remember, but I'm pretty sure it has at least one in the back, and ten on the front.

They are in 5 isolated banks. The comparison chart is faulty, and doesn't address other issues, such as the uniqueness and superiority of the V-Batt circuit, and the quality of parts, etc.

The juicebox is a great unit, for a lot of reasons. Just my two cents. Check them all out before buying.

7. Tube Guy

Tube Guy Silver Supporting Member

The power station is the best I have ever found http://www.thegigrig.com/acatalog/index.html due to the fact that it has been designed to be the quietest on the market and happily powers 20 of my pedals plus 2 GigRigs (at the recent London guitar show they were running over a hundred pedals from it). Previously I was finding a voltage drop using other supplies with a modest number of pedals.

I believe they plan to bring out a premium model in the near future for the ultimate low noise, high power unit.

8. gururyan

gururyan Member

That was the simplified chart, I did it for personal reference. But the info is correct as it was seen by and verified by the distributor of the JuiceBox.

9. ducmike

I'm leaning toward the Juicebox. I don't want to spend $300 on a power supply, but you get what you pay for. The Gigrig looks like it is just a daisychain like the onespot, only more amps. Some of my pedals need to be isolated.

10. TBone

TBone Member

Actually not the distributor - the manufacturer.

Just kidding - both of you are correct. But to help clear it up for anyone else the JuiceBox provides the following isolated outputs and output jacks.

Iso 1 has 4 output jacks. The first three are fixed at 9 volt DC and the fourth is variable via a V-bat.

Iso 2 has 4 output jacks. The first three are fixed at 9 volt DC and the fourth is variable via a V-bat. (just like Iso 1)

Iso 3 has 1 output jack and has preset voltage settings ranging from 4.6 to 18 volts DC.

Iso 4 has 1 output jack and has preset voltage settings ranging from 6.5 to 24 volts DC.

Iso 5 has 1 output jack at 12 volts AC.

(whew) That's 5 isolated channels, 11 output jacks.

Thanks for everyone's contribution to getting good information to others.

Tony@pedalgear.net:AOK