Pedal power requirements

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by bgh, May 5, 2015.

1. bgh

bgh Supporting Member

I am considering buying a Shift Line Twin preamp pedal. It is made in Russia and the web site indicates the following:

• Comes with 220-230V mains Europe socket power adapter (In order to use it in countries with different mains voltage, please ensure you have appropriate power adapter or voltage transformer).

• Power adapter 12V AC, 750mA. 220-230V primary (for european sockets) adapter included

What does this actually mean? Does it mean that I need to purchase a 110 power adapter rated for 12V and 750mA? The web site says "adapter included".

I've never dealt with 220v pedals, so any help at all is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

2. ObsessedGuitarist

ObsessedGuitarist Member

To me this means you just have to find a 110-120V AC (USA) to 12 VAC. Which I can't say that I have seen, but Digitech makes a 9 VAC from 110-120 V adapter. Make sure that it is 12V AC, because it is different than 12dc which is more common in the pedal arena. Maybe check some rack mount devices. Alesis might make one.

Make sure you get the polarity of the pedal power input correct too.

3. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

The included adapter is for 220-240vAC mains voltage, so you can't use it where you are. You need to find a 110vAC adapter to replace it, with an output voltage of 12vAC and 750mA (or more) capacity.

Thankfully, since this is AC voltage, you don't have to worry about polarity. Also, it means you don't have to worry too much about the adapter being specifically designed for pedal use (normally, DC adapters require very good regulation/filtering to avoid noise, but with AC all that is done inside the pedal).

4. bgh

bgh Supporting Member

Guys, thanks for the answers and advice!