Pedal Powering - Need Help!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by bombdizzle, May 16, 2008.

1. bombdizzle

bombdizzle Member

So right now I have two original Pedaltrain boards loaded...

First one has:

Crybaby from Hell
    Tu2
    Tonepress
    Zvex BOR
    RAT
    FD2
    nano small stone
    line 6 tap trem
    isp decimator

All of these pedals are powered by a one spot,
    except I run the line 6 off the power supply that came with it because I
    heard it had noise issues if ran off a chain.

next one:

EHX HOG
    Dl4
    Verbzilla
    Dl4
    Jamman

This one's a bit tricker, Dl4's are run off another 1spot, but the other three all have their own power supplies.

I actually basically had to redesign it a bit for a show I got asked to play...

I had just been using 3 pedals but had to throw on more, but now I just have ****ing tons of little power cables going to and fro, and a huge huge powerstrip completely filled, which is clearly too big to mount in anyway to the board. does anyone have any advice as far as how to rig this up? I'll post a pic in a couple hours after I go buy more velcro.

2. bombdizzle

bombdizzle Member

I should've posted before I smoked... :hiP

Basically, to paraphrase my issue... I'm having to use 6 wall warts or whatever to power all my pedals right now... there's no way I could mount a big enough power strip to even take care of that many... therefore, what could I do to mount some supply of power to my pedaltrains, that will power all those pedals well?

I'm not about to bring a powerstrip, and 6 wall warts with me everywhere I go...

3. ylo

ylo Member

Are you good with a soldering iron?

Here's what I did. I have 7 wallwarts to run my pedals. I put them all on a shelf in a small rack unit. I tied them down with velcro, cable ties and double sided tape (depending on the size, shape etc.), then ran zip cord lines to my pedalboard. I put screw-on multipin disconnects in-line at the board (for example Philmore T602C female and L602C male). These are keyed to keep the positives and negatives straight. I added a drawer to the rack unit for keeping spare pedals, cords etc.

Wiring this up takes time, but set up and breakdown is a breeze now.

4. bombdizzle

bombdizzle Member

Ooh, that sounds cool actually... I'm not too sure how I'd do that, sounds a bit over my head, but I'll show it to my Dad and see if he's feeling helpful.

5. fendergeek

fendergeek Member

What about a VooDoo Labs Pedal Power 2+. You can get brackets to mount it under your Pedaltrain. It will power 8 pedals and you can use your 1Spot in the courtesy outlet to power the rest. The PP2+ is about $169 new, I picked up mine for $100 used. Good luck.

6. Dandy13

Dandy13 Member

I should have read this before i smoked:eek::hiP:D