Pedal prices are getting ridiculous. Just saw a Tube Screamer for $1300....

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Hwoltage, Feb 3, 2015.

1. Hwoltage

Hwoltage Member

I find it frustrating that guys like Dumble or Fischer, even Bill Finnegan never see/saw these profits for the years of work they put into building their craft. Fischer's most valuable Trainwreck amps all went for around 3K brand new, now they're worth 60k to 100k or so. He used to joke that he offered a triple your money back guarantee that if you're not happy with tone of any Trainwreck amp, no matter how you got it or who you got it from, he would give you three times what it sold for out his door. The joke is that you would be getting $9K for an amp worth roughly 9 times that.
    Klons are worth up into the thousands but did Finnegan ever see any of it? When he released the second version did they go for what the originals were worth? No, but when they came out hoards of people that bought the first ones were turning right around and selling them on EBAY for ridiculous sums. What would be the reaction of these same Ebay sellers if Finnegan charged those same Ebay prices, or even sums that reflected what his first Klons were worth? He would be ridiculed, only a select few would buy the second version (until the prices went down), the legacy would be tarnished, and the end imminent.

There are a lot of cork sniffing jerks that don't care about anything that really impacts the creators of small run electronics. All they want on their board is the ownership of a small portion of hype. It's sad.

But if you're a collector there's profit. Fortunately (for me) I don't agree with the collection ideology. This gear is meant to be played, not boxed up and showed off once or twice a year. I understand that you purchased the device and how you use it is your choice. I agree with that, but I don;t agree with your actual use of said device. I found a near original Brownface Fender Pro in the small guitar shop of my small po-dunk hometown, on consignment for $300. The first thing I did was check the back story to assure nobody was getting ripped off. Turns out the guy desperately needed money. Just an AMAZING amp. First one like that I had found, and probably the last. I didn't think I would play it enough (and looking at it from the perspective of the old guy who had gigged with it frequently since the ******* 50's but was forced to sell it off) assuring that it would fall into the hands of someone who WOULD play it and give it the proper care was important. I tipped a certain friend off and he drove 130 miles the next day to get it. I will say that this was just a total bone headed decision but it was the one I made, and for the reasons present at the time I stand by it. But damn I want that amp now lol....

Anyhow. It's all good if you want to collect, in the end the collections are going to be the last of the examples to still be around and provided we all live through the next 30 years it's all good. But right now, play it! It's a utility to a better realm, so to hell all that superficial crap!

/flamesuiton

Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
  2. owen2j

owen2j Member

There is a big difference between what people want to sell for, and what people are willing to pay

Don't let it ruin your day :)

3. Jack DeVille

Jack DeVille Member

TL;DR

**** bitches. Get money.

4. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

Cool story, bro.

5. zetamkiii

zetamkiii Member

Hmmm, I wonder if any pedal has the potential to break the 10k mark.
    Some of these Boutiques are getting expensive as amps, still a long way to go though. :drink

6. CE-2 Man

CE-2 Man Senior Member

I totally agree with the OP. I get mad when I see people buying all the cool old stuff and hoarding it. And it's nice when people have ethics, only buying gear if they're going to actually employ it. I have full respect for this.

7. zetamkiii

zetamkiii Member

It breaks my heart every time I see some gear flipper boasting about his Klon profit or lording his rare Boutiques over people. That warped ego and profit obsessed corporate mentality really saddens me whenever I see it at work in regular individuals. At it's core that view is the source of a lot of twistedness in this world. :cry:

But it can't be helped, you see it everywhere. I just try to remember, Paying it forward enriches the entire community.

8. erniecaster

erniecaster Member

Hi,

yes, the prices are ridiculous. Low.

If you don´t want an old tube screamer but just an overdrive that makes the TS-sound, it´s cheaper than ever.

Just don´t join the ******** race.

cu

e.

9. rotlung

rotlung Member

cash rules everything around me

10. 9520575

9520575 Member

Some one owes Vincent Van Gough a ton of money. :red

11. shinksma

shinksma Member

Hey, cool names for new boutique pedals that could sell for obscene amounts! The first one could be a twist (see what I did there?) on the EHX Super Ego, and the second one should be a fuzz, IMHO.

Joking aside, while I agree that it can be disturbing how much some people will pay for certain things, that is the nature of the ultra-rich - they see something they like, and will pay whatever it tales to get it, because a few thousand for <item x> is less than they pay for room service one morning.

And sometimes regular people get caught up in the "gotta have it" mentality, driving up the prices of certain high-demand items. Meanwhile, the Universe continues to operate essentially the same as it would have if that item had never existed.

12. ncyankee

ncyankee Member

My college was paid for because in 1992 my father invested in Microsoft. I joined an organization in 2004 and was able to quadruple my income over five years because of the growth of the company but people who came into my exact role after five years made 1/2 of what I made because they had changed the salary cap. We did the same job and made drastically different incomes.

When my wife and I sold our first house we had to bring a virtual Mercedes in cash to closing because of the tanked value of that house due to the number of foreclosures in the neighborhood.

When you go shopping for a car do you care if the dealer is losing money? If you're buying a house don't you want the best possible deal? Do you care if the owner has to bring money to the table?

I get angry and gear flippers but this is what free market is about. It is easy to say that an amp builder or pedal builder should get more money but when you apply this philosophy to the entire economy it makes no sense.

Just like a stock, get in early and try to make money OR try to get enjoyment out of it. 99/100 hear purchases are like cars and they lose 20% of value once you drive off the lot.

13. BigDiceBuddha

BigDiceBuddha Member

I'm currently looking for a 1981 TS 808 myself. I think the asking price is a lot more, in some cases (like the $1300 one) double what the actual price would be.

I'm being patient, but I think I'll be able to snag one for considerably less than that, hopefully.

14. AXEnGEAR4J

AXEnGEAR4J Supporting Member

You hit the "Nail on the head". I somewhat understand some peoples frustrations however....

"Free enterprise". "Supply and Demand" If it wasn't there you would not have many of the goods designed and produced to even enjoy. Also the so called "Hoarders" play a role into "Preservation" therefore original examples and museum pieces would not exist. And as a buyer and consumer no one blinks an eye when a deal is to be had where money, depreciation or investment is lost by the seller!

15. ncyankee

ncyankee Member

I have profited from some gear sales. In 1998-1999 AMS got a bunch of the old Roland R-8 cards in stock and they were selling for $9.99 new. On EBay they were going for $50. I bought 10 of those and sold them at $40. They all sold

At the same time, I bought the Bogner pedals new for $300 each and sold them both , in mind condition, for $175-200.

Free enterprise

I go back to the house analogy... Everyone wants the best deal and every seller wants the best profit. It is not about being fair and equitable to all parties.

16. PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus Gold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

C.R.E.A.M'd it. Dolla dolla bills, yo.

For all questions in life look to the 36 Chambers. And beer. Sometimes whiskey.

And to the OP I get what you're saying, but I wouldnt lose any sleep over it. Flippers annoy me, but collectors don't. There's a BIG difference between the two. If you love Cornish and collect all his pedals then power to you.

If you're just trying to turn a profit then it's not the same thing at all, but it's not like we could ever stop it. The business degree in me just screams "scarcity" when I see this type of thread. In an open market that's all it comes down to to super inflate prices.

Honestly, I always assumed guys like Finnigan would sell some at retail and some under aliases on eBay for the silly prices. They'd never admit it, but if he or some other very famous pedal builders did that I would take ZERO issue with it, even if it meant I was going to be on the waitlist a little longer.

17. SirGilmour

SirGilmour Supporting Member

18. teleluvver

teleluvver Supporting Member

Economics 101. If we were totally honest, it probably only annoys us because someone who may or may not be a "true musician" is making money on something that we would like to try or put to musical use. Just like vintage guitars and amps. However, I will gladly tolerate this slight aggravation and live in the free market economy of the United States. It's a free country, people can ask and sell at whatever price they can get. Leave the flippers alone.

19. brn2run56

brn2run56 Member

I have never sold a piece of gear and taken a loss.

20. AXEnGEAR4J

AXEnGEAR4J Supporting Member

It's because you buy right!

Musicians typically will pay a premium to get what they want at the time and sell it at a loss in order to pay the bills or get that new piece of gear. A savvy buyer will catch these deals!