Pedal repair,,, no signal going through when powered ON

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by dscuyamungue, Feb 10, 2012.

1. dscuyamungue

dscuyamungue Supporting Member

So I got a 'new' pedal last November (it was actually a replacement for an earlier one that had a button quit working). It was working fine and then it stopped allowing any signal through unless it is switched off. Prior to this happening there had been a mild static shock when I picked the instrument cable up, but this happens occasionally (carpet in the room) and I don't know if that has anything to do with the pedal not working.

Is this something I might be able to diagnose and fix myself? I'm not the greatest solderer but I think I can manage swapping out a component if the space isn't too tight. I sent an email to the company two days ago but have not heard back, so now I'm here! Any information would be appreciated.

thanks for your help~

2. jb4674

jb4674 Member

Are you going to treat us like grownups and at least tell us what the "pedal" is?

3. Crankston Shnord

Crankston Shnord Active Member

LOL

I would say what I was told when I posted a question on a failing pedal here: "There are no "typical" reasons for a pedal to fail. Be specific!!"

That particular problem could be caused by anything from a bum component to a bad switch. Details please :)

Best of luck!!

4. smallsnd/bigsnd

smallsnd/bigsnd Member

maybe give them another few days to respond? like a full week? if they replaced the pedal initially, i'm sure they'll get back to you... :huh

5. jkokura

jkokura Member

I debug a LOT of pedals. Unfortunately, the problems could be myriad.

Most failures like the one you're describing happen either because of a manufacturers error which took a while to show up, or because of a user error like putting the wrong voltage or polarity into the pedal when using a power supply.

Without more details, I cannot be more specific.

Jacob

6. Montez

Montez Member

Being some one who is trained on industrial ESD in a Electronics R&D environment....i'd guess you probably blew the first silicon component in the signal path with the static. In the past you probably discharged into the ground/ring in the cable. This time my bet is the static discharged into the tip or signal line. Static could be from a few hundred volts to several thousand volts. Silicon junctions can handle a few hundred volts or be as sensitive as down to 20 volts before damage will occur. Sometimes there are ESD protections designed into the circuit if using the more sensitive components like MosFETs. Even with protections built in, damage could occur as it is not a perfect science.

A good policy is to always touch the ground on the cable to discharge before plugging into the guitar.

I agree, wait for the builder to get back to you. he should take care of this for you.

7. Montez

Montez Member

If you do identify and remove/replace the bad part, put a socket in so if it gets damaged again, it is an easy swap.

8. dscuyamungue

dscuyamungue Supporting Member

Thanks Montez (and everyone else) that was useful information. I don't want to drop the builder's name and have this perceived as mud slinging but I see now that kind of information can be vital to identifying the problem... first I'm going to give them more time to respond.

thanks again