• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Pedal Repair??????

la noise

F'in A guys.... they work with a battery. I am super stoked
about this. Thanks for the help so far. :beer

Any suggestions on how to proceed from there. I
just got a new soldering iron for Christmas and am
ready to void some warranties here. :banana

teleman1

Silver Supporting Member
Your buddy shoved either the wrong voltage and or the wrong polarity. The remedies are in posts above.

Alchemy Audio

Protection diode. Replace (preferred) or remove (you won't be protected against future sessions with your "friend").

ejanuska

Get 9V battery adapters and connect them from a power supply. Unless they are vintage or seriously expensive boutique stuff repairs will cost more than they are worth.

There are so many parts that could have been fried and there is no telling the location, value or other stuff without knowing the model of the pedal. Sure you can isolate it to the power supply section but its not like every manufacture puts the power supply in the same area of a PCB.

You could shotgun it by opening the pedals and look for burnt parts and replacing them, they'll be black or maybe melted. Capacitors sometimes bulge. If the parts are burnt you still need technical info to determine the replacement part. Of course after all that research and repair the pedal may or may not work resulting in a waste of time.

bjornkom

Silver Supporting Member
Dude, that sucks!!! Something similar happened to me once, too. I took the nice guy route. Friendship preservation. Cost me about $400 in repairs and loss of value, though.

la noise

Thanks, Don't Post. I am on it, and now have my
Saturday afternoon planned. Thanks from me and a
couple of redeemed pedals. :aok

la noise

Wow, Bjorn. That sucks. :(

Looks like I may have lucked out and will only need
to replace a couple of diodes. For some reason my
Fuzz Factory is not working with a battery and will
need something more than just a protection diode
replaced.

I also think good friends are more valuable than pedals. :aok

The guy who fried my pedals loaned me a guitar to play for over
a year when I was down on my luck about 10 years ago. So... it's
all good. :)

la noise

So... can someone confirm the protective diodes from these pics?

I notice a similar black diode with silver lettering on both pedal.

Thanks!

P1230752.JPG

P1230750.JPG

Rydell

What pedals? If they are SMD construction, you may be out of luck unless they're still under warranty. SMD is more difficult to work on, let alone finding a tech who'll take it on. If you have a warranty, maybe the manufacturer will replace them.

Rydell

So... can someone confirm the protective diodes from these pics?

I notice a similar black diode with silver lettering on both pedal.

Tha

P1230752.JPG

P1230750.JPG
[/QUOTE/]

Yeah, probably the black and silver diodes. They don't look fried. You could try socketing a new chip in the upper one. Can you read what it is? Hey, at least they're not SMD. They can probably be repaired.

juansolo

Going one what's been said on this thread: All three pedals don't work, and you also lent him the PSU... At least two work on batteries. i suspect your PSU is borked (if they work on batteries there's no reason why they wouldn't work on a 9V PSU). When the PSU died it may have taken out the one pedal that's not working.

Try another PSU before you go banzai with a soldering iron. At least rule that out first.

basicaudio

Start with the power supply as mentioned.
It's more likely the case with 3 pedals wonky.
The Diode in the Scarab is the protection diode...
Looks ok to me in both pedals.

la noise

Thanks, John. Neither work with ANY power supply.
But work with a battery. :huh

I'll double-check. The Keeley smelt funny when I opened
it up.... like a burnt electrical smell. Works, though, with
a 9v.

silverburstlp

I've had a few come to me with the Zener Diode popped, will work with a battery but not power supply when that goes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zener_diode

Without knowing which pedals specifically I would simply google name of pedal zener diode, protection diode etc. I do see what looks to be one in one of your pics.

If you post this on the DIY Stomboxes or free stomp boxes sites I'd bet you'd have the exact location and replacement in seconds flat, those guys are seriously in the know.

Or just google the name of your pedal and schematic it will be listed in there as well.

And if you really can't find/fix it yourself get yourself the 9 volt battery adapter for the 1 spot and connect it that way, just be sure to never over supply it again or it will fry something not as easily replaceable.

Top Bottom