Pedal(s) for the tapping guitarist at reasonable volumes...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by TNJ, Feb 24, 2008.

1. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

I'm new to this tapping thing...the rock band I recently hooked up with does some material (Randy era Ozzy, EVH). So, I'm stretching myself a bit. Problem is, I need MORE volume or compression or boost or something to make the tapped notes stand out as much as my plucked solo notes.
    How do you seasoned tappers out there accomplish that without cranking the volume to an insane level? I'm thinking either a good compressor, or maybe some kind of a boost. Or maybe an OD pedal? I am using the amp's overdrive channel only (Shiva) for my lead chores.
    What would you suggest?

S.
    j

2. mgarrison99

mgarrison99 Silver Supporting Member

Try a Soul Preacher. They are cheap (cheaper on the bay), and will bring your tapped notes to the front.

If you are looking for a combo comp/OD, try t he CMATMODS Signa Comp Drive. I have the Signa Drive and love it. You could use that for the body of the song and then kick in the comp for the solo to bring more definition to your notes.

[​IMG]

Good luck

3. TNJ

I'll look into the SP.
    I also dug into my pedal pile at home this morning, and experimented.
    Rig setup: LP->Fulltone OCD->Keeley Time Machine Boost(set on Vintage '66)->Heritage Patriot 212. I adjusted the overall volumes where I wanted them with both amp and boost pedal. Works really nicely...the low end is preserved well with the Time Machine.

Next step is to try just this boost with the Shiva alone.

Any other boost/od pedals out there that work for you?

S.
    j

4. enditol

enditol Member

If you're new to the technique you don't need a pedal, you need to work on the technique with your hands. You shouldn't need a pedal to articulate clearly with tapping as opposed to any other tehnique.

5. TNJ

Well,
    I have a fairly hard pick attack when soloing.
    As opposed to the more legato approach with tapping.
    But, I'll try as you suggest...too.

S.
    j

6. enditol

enditol Member

Cool, and if you just need a boost or OD to juice the amp a little more my faves are a simple Maxon OD-9 (tubescreamer) or more transparent would be the boost side of the Box of Rock. :dude

7. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

I agree with Enditol totally .. THAT IS if I'm understanding him right. . Put it this way : If you have enough gain say for the normal part of the song and you're just going into the lead solo on any of the Randy or Evh stuff, you don't need any special pedal for tapping. It's all in the technique. HOWEVER, I tend to kick in extra gain for almost all my solos in the hard rock tunes I play , so in that case it's the same as you'd ever do , with any boost or overdrive pedal that 'fits' with your amp. I would never use a compressor for hard rock soloing. That's just me .

I went thru trying to learn tapping after some of my guitarist friends learned the EVH tunes note for note in the late 70's-early 80's ... and then again later on , after they learned the Joe Satriani stuff note for note and well. I learned enough to realize I wouldn't be as good as them at it , but I also learned how to FEEL it and do it so it was the same volume /dynamic etc and that's all in the technique.. GOOD LUCK and have fun

Eric

8. guitarsnguns04

guitarsnguns04 Member

On the VH stuff Eddie used a phaser alot which voiced properly really cuts through the mix. I agree with the rest on a good boost as well.

9. dosmun

dosmun Member

+1 :dude