Pedal sequence

sliberty

I have a small pedal board consisting of an Emerson Paramount, a Boss Blues Driver, a Donner Alchemy multi-modulation pedal, and the Donner Yellow Fall delay, in that order.

I also have the Donner Boost Killer, which I use as a solo boost (wonderful by the way). I've been putting it right after the two drive pedals before the Alchemy until now. But someone suggested putting it at the very end of the chain, after the delay.

What say you?

Glitch Magnet

If the boost isn't overdriving the pedals following it, then it's fine. You can try it at the end and see if it sounds better, but keep in mind you'll also be boosting any noise from every pedal before it.

Agitator

If the boost isn't overdriving the pedals following it, then it's fine. You can try it at the end and see if it sounds better, but keep in mind you'll also be boosting any noise from every pedal before it.
I usually put my boost first or second. That way it "punches up" any drive pedals I might be running after it and doesn't amplify the noise of the previous pedals (as Glitch pointed out).

sliberty

I usually put my boost first or second. That way it "punches up" any drive pedals I might be running after it and doesn't amplify the noise of the previous pedals (as Glitch pointed out).

In some cases I do that too. But in this case, I want a lead boost, and don't want it to alter the tone from the pedals that came before it. So going after the drive pedals is what I need.

Besides the argument about noise is not that significant. Whether you have a boost in front or behind your drive pedal, which ever one is last will amplify the noise from the one that was first. Its a wash.

Agitator

In some cases I do that too. But in this case, I want a lead boost, and don't want it to alter the tone from the pedals that came before it. So going after the drive pedals is what I need.

Besides the argument about noise is not that significant. Whether you have a boost in front or behind your drive pedal, which ever one is last will amplify the noise from the one that was first. Its a wash.
Well, there's nothing wrong with doing it that way. Give it a whirl and let us know what you think.

DaveKS

Yep only difference is how it effects the pedals following it. Especially mods like alchemy, it may make it sound richer and fuller, it may make it sound like butt compared to running it after it.

Same with delay, if it's overdriving it's input to hard causing delay repeats to break up a bit. You may like that, you may not. Trust your ears. Every pedal is different as to what it will accept as a input boost level before it starts clipping.

You may find the perfect spot for it is in between the mod and the delay. Try it in extremes of clean boost/od/distortion in every position and trust your own ears, there is no better opinion than the one your own ears give you. We can't hear what you hear, have no idea what styles you play or what guitar/amp/speaker your using. (PS: That's always good info to give if your wanting someone's opinion on something).

Trending Topics

Top Bottom