Pedal sized preamp/amp wanted

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jtfender, Jan 23, 2012.

1. jtfender

jtfender Member

I am a p&w player that travels plays in various different churches and settings.I am looking for a preamp/amp style pedal that can easily fit on a pedaltrain mini to travel with me on planes. I am looking at the new Ethos amp. I want to be able to go direct to a pa,and powering a speaker cab or monitor is a plus. So far the ethos is the only thing I've seen that can do both.Any sugestions?

2. doc

doc Member

I don't think the Ethos can power a monitor - its just a preamp. The only thing that springs to mind is a Crate Powerblock (now out of production). Its possibly slightly larger than what you want, but will do what you're looking for. Most wouldn't say it sounds as good as an Ethos, but they're somewhat different products in numerous ways.

3. Dale

Dale Member

4. AllenL

AllenL Member

Ethos just came out with a new Ethos amp. It's essentially the Ethos with a 30 watt amp built in. Footprint is the same as the original Ethos. You can still use it like the original, going into another amp etc. Unfortunately wait time is somewhere towards the end of 2013. Go to youtube and search ethos amp to see a demo.

5. jtfender

jtfender Member

yeah,i am talking about the new Ethos with 30watts,manual says you can run direct out and power a monitor or a speaker cab.I had a power block in the past not really what I am looking for but that is a decent ss pre. Thanks for the suggestions I will look into the others. Keep'em coming!

6. shooto

shooto Supporting Member

EHX 22 Caliber and 44 Magnum are amps the size of MXR boxes...they don't go direct to PA though

7. stratus

stratus Supporting Member

I just picked up a 44 magnum as a backup in case my old tube amps fart out on me at a gig.

8. jtfender

jtfender Member

Just checking out the 22 and 44,look cool,but still need something that can bre run direct,i guess even a pod would probably be alright,just want somethinf that sounds good,the Ethos is bar far the best I have seen,but 1 year wait time and $600 price tag

9. MCK

MCK Member

10. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

Well for $600, how about this...

- A Kingsley tube preamp pedal (Juggler, Jester or Minstrel)
    - An EHX Mag 44 poweramp pedal
    - A Carl Martin Rockbug

You may need a cheap splitter etc but the setup will easily come under $600, sound killer and can power a 4x12 cab and run direct at the same time. Plus it's modular so you can mix and match your signal chain for any occasion.

Plus, the Kingsley gear feels fantastic (as it runs proper plate voltage for the tubes - they are completely hand wired as well; they are basically Blackface/Dumble style preamp's in pedal enclosures). I have a Mag 44 and two Kingsley's and when my amp went down at Christmas, I ran into the 44 with the Minstrel and I was rockin.

Alternatively, a HD POD and the Mag 44.

11. iMatt

iMatt Member

12. robertkoa

robertkoa Member

H@K Tubeman is good.

You can get an older black one used if you don't need to switch channels on the fly.

13. ChorusCrackpot

ChorusCrackpot Member

For direct to mix- Tech 21 SansAmp.

For powering a cab- Crate Powerblock or the EHX 44 Magnum with a 7-band graphic EQ to reduce the mud (200Hz & 400Hz scooped).

e.g. a mighty impressive sound!