1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

pedal snake

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ezcomes, May 17, 2011.

1. ezcomes

ezcomes Member

has anyone got one? did you buy it or make it?

pics? reviews?

i've heard of this one...www.pedalsnake.com

i've got ideas on how to make one...but looking for some thoughts and reviews...if it is just easier to buy one

2. tonyhay

tonyhay Supporting Member

3. muffinman

muffinman Member

I have and still use the old CS-3 model (I think it's discontinued?), it's been very reliable, and since I always use a buffer the tone is nearly the same as plugging straight in. It was great having one line for pedalboard to amp, and two lines to go from/to my amp's serial FX loop. So I never had any complaints, and when a 1-SPOT was all I required for power, and when I was running a simple mono rig, it was very convenient.

However, I'm now running a stereo rig with footswitchable amp settings per side (channel, reverb, & tremolo, x2), so I'm probably going to follow suit with what I think most people requiring more than just a power line & guitar line do: get a custom-order snake setup from one of the many fine vendors who can build one (best-tronics prices seem more sensible), or just DIY. Besides, Pedalsnake's G-line/P-line mini wire thing makes me wonder whether it's rugged enough to withstand wear and tear.

4. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I have the Pedalsnake and like it a lot. The connectors are on the cheap side, but so far they haven't failed in about two years of weekly use.

5. 57junior

57junior Member

dont know anything about the pedalsnake brand, however I have two snakes... one for an effects loop and one for non-effects loop.

I just went out and bought my favorite cable and a 25 foot IEC cable for my pedal power (by Hosa.. theyre 20-25 bucks). then i went to an awesome website called http://www.cableorganizer.com

and bought this Black expandable sleeving

You can get it in whatever color you want and a 15 feet of it is like 14 dollars. It works like a chinese finger trap... you just scrunch it up and slide your cables through. if you want bright neon colors to see on stage you can do that, or black or carbon for a sleek look. i have one of each. this way you can use what cables you want to use and its way cheaper because you already own the cables!

enjoy!!

ps... if it helps my non effects loop sleeving (one instrument cable and a power cable) is 3/4 inch and my effects loop one (3 instrument cables, a footswitch cable and a power cable) is 1 3/4''

6. telemike

telemike Member

PedalSnake = Best thing since sliced bread.

Three years of great tone, easy set up and no problems.

7. Steve73

Steve73 Member

Yeah, I have been using a PS for about 3 years through three different rigs and it is great for quick teardown/setup and keeping the amount of cabling down. With a buffer in line, it sounds great, I don't notice any tonal degredation.

8. PRSkeeto

PRSkeeto Member

I've had two from PedalSnake: a custom shop job, and a standard one with the pigtails. I still have the standard one and can't say enough good about them. They've both worked flawlessly for me for years.

9. beej

beej Supporting Member

I've been gigging with a PS for years, it's fantastic.

I've got other snakes I've made, but honestly the PS is cost-effective and I've never had a single issue with it. I prefer it.

10. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

What exactly does a pedalsnake do?
    If I were to take a bunch of cables (maybe different colors or mark the ends so I know which is wich) and rap conduit or rubber (basically make my own sheath for this) around it??

Not trying to slam pedalsnake, just trying to understand the product...nut isnt it simply a bunch of cables inside of one big cable, to keep it clean and tidy??

11. gomez1856

gomez1856 Member

Can't write a big review cause I'm on my phone, but happy to do so later. Long story short is that the pedal snake is fantasic. From simple configs to complex wet/dry setups, it's super easy and clean. I was skeptical of the ends, but close to ten years of frequent use with no issues.

Rick

12. ezcomes

ezcomes Member

i've got a question...again...

the pedal snake appears to be based on an XLR cable...would that not mean that all of the cables are then sharing a common ground? is that not wise?

13. gomez1856

gomez1856 Member

It's not based on an XLR connection. There are a number of cables bundled together in the snake. Each of these cables has 5 Pin DIN connectors (same as a midi cable) on them that allows you to put on whatever connection that you want. I have a bunch of 1/4 inch mono connectors for standard audio cables, a power connector for my pedal board's power supply, and a stereo 1/4 inch connector for a footswitch that requires it. No XLR at all.

Good info on how it works: http://www.pedalsnake.com/page.php?id=61

14. gomez1856

gomez1856 Member

It's a bit more than that. It's a highly configurable system that has a number of lines bundled together. You can use the lines for whatever you want by changing the tips of each line to whatever you need. For example, here's what my more complicated rig looked like.

It's a wet/dry rig with my THD Flexi for the dry and a Crate Powerblock for the wet side. Everything I describe was carried by the single pedalsnake from the backline to my pedalboard. One single cable for everything:

First off, the power to my board came from near the amp, via a one spot power supply, to the pedalboard in the the pedalsnake. Guitar into tuner, wah, RC booster, then Screamer-> then out of pedalboard and into THD-> THD into Hotplate and 212 cab-> Line out of hotplate back to pedalboard and into delays and modulations -> again out of pedalboard from there and back to the Powerblock and 112 cab.

Everything done with one Pedalsnake.

Next gig, if I don't need anything that complicated, I just put on the tips that I need and I'm set. Easy Peasy.

Here's good info on their site: http://www.pedalsnake.com/page.php?id=63

Rick

15. kjetillunde

kjetillunde Member

Does pedalsnake also do standard IEC power connector?

16. kjetillunde

kjetillunde Member

Does pedalsnake also do power to Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 Plus?

17. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

Good question! By the looks of the website, it looks as if the power source would have to be a daisy chain type power configuration. If that's the case, that's a fail. If I were to order it w/ a power line, then it would be w/ a power cable w/in the snake to plug in my PSU on the pedalboard.

18. CiceroTJones

CiceroTJones Member

I had one made through MyStarSound Cables.

I love it.
    3 mono 1/4" lines (pedalboard to amp, send, return)
    1 TRS 1/4" line (footswitch)

I've been saved many times by this thing.
    I can't imagine finding cables on the go to make all this work.

19. Danox3

Danox3 Member

20. kjetillunde

kjetillunde Member

So, anyone know if pedalsnake also do power to Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 Plus?